Hey I just need some help with supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

LupusCantus

5 Year Member
So, I decided that I will go with with a 50 gallon tub for the enclosure. I want to make a tortoise table but I need more time to plan that out.

I want to use coconut coir bricks for the substrate.

For the hide, I was think about getting these log hides but when I picked it up I got a few splinters. Is that okay?

Also I'm trying to figure out what I should do for the UV light and Basking light? Should I get Zoo Med PowerSun? Or are there better options?

A cuttlebone

A small dish for water

Is there anything else I really need? Also can you give me some ideas for decorations?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of tort is this for? For the water get a clay or plastic saucer, the kind that goes under flower pots.. Make it large enough that he can get in it and self soak should he want. Edible plants make great decorations. The log hides are fine, a clay flower pot will probably last longer and probably cheaper, just turn it on its side. The power sun is find, depending on type of tort. Some don't like the bright light of the mvb and then the tube fluorescent is better for those few.

LupusCantus

5 Year Member
wellington said:
What kind of tort is this for? For the water get a clay or plastic saucer, the kind that goes under flower pots.. Make it large enough that he can get in it and self soak should he want. Edible plants make great decorations. The log hides are fine, a clay flower pot will probably last longer and probably cheaper, just turn it on its side. The power sun is find, depending on type of tort. Some don't like the bright light of the mvb and then the tube fluorescent is better for those few.

It's going to be a russian tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can use the mvb or the fluorescent. I like the mvb the best, gives heat, lite and uv. The fluorescent, you will need a basking bulb too. Because Russians like to climb and try to escape, you might be better off with a hide that has straight sides that he can't climb and flip over.

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Scotland
Have some flattish rocks/stones to help keep nails trim other than that you've got a good head start :)

Status
Not open for further replies.