Is this okay for an outdoor inclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnsprrt5863

5 Year Member
I was wondering if this is okay for a hatchling Red Foot? Do I need to add anything? I want it to be perfect so please tell me what more I need to do, or less.. and I was wondering, If you wanted breed RF's one time, will they try to breed again? Would you have to keep them seperate after that? This inclosure will be only for day time. The RF will come inside everynight.

Attachments

• SDC11890.JPG
    SDC11890.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 45
  • SDC11891.JPG
    SDC11891.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 46
  • SDC11889.JPG
    SDC11889.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 46

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown, TX
Yes, this should work. Not sure what the measurements are, but your little tort should enjoy that during the day. Just make sure that they have a water source. I don't see any other real issues. Also if the cover is to keep predators at bay, then make sure that it is secure. Coons, cats and dogs can be curious if they are able to detect a food source. My outside enclosures have higher walls, so my dog is not curious as to what is in there. I do not have any other known predators in my area. My front flower garden has lower walls and I have had no issues with predators.

So, I say....yea for you and your tort. Just my two cents worth.

pnsprrt5863

5 Year Member
I have several shallow water dishes that will be places in there for the little one. And It is safe, I have several farm dogs that don't let coons or any other animal in my yard. and they have a bigger cage around that one. Just to be safe... Oh and what should I do in the first few days when I get the little one? I have several mixed opinons..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The water dish I did see looks a little too small. They need to be able to get into it and soak also, other then the soakings you will be doing. The shallow clay saucers that goes under flower pots work great. They also have them in plastic. Also, a flat rock or piece of tile/slate works good for feeding on. Helps keep their beaks and nails trimmed. When you first get your tort, give him/her a soak in warm water. Then just make any adjustments that wasn't discovered ahead of time. That's about it. If you breed, they will have to be separated if you don't want to breed again. However, if you don't want them to breed, you will have to keep them separated anyway. If they are hatchlings you are getting, it will be quite a few years before they could breed. Best to check temps and humidity before they arrive. Good luck and enjoy.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Ok, bad assumption on my part...I thought you already had your tort. First few days, I would keep them inside and calm. Just to get used to you and their new surroundings. Your breeder would be better to answer that question. Keeping them in a similar temps and humdity levels. Humidity is very important for all stages of tort life, but more crucial to the young ones...don't want bumpy shells.

Hope this helps. Sounds like you are already prepared to keep them inside at night, so I would just use that enclosure until you feel comfortable in moving them outside. Also, don't expect much activity. They are shy things and until they get used the new setup, may not act like you think they should.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Put a thermometer in there to make sure it doesn't get too hot. Looks like a mini greenhouse to me and if the temps get above 85ºF, you'll need more ventilation to keep it cooler.

pnsprrt5863

5 Year Member
Okay. It is made out of wood, and window screens.. so it will only get as hot as out door temps.. and I have themometer in the indoor enclosure. and a UV bulb and a one of those other bulb that aren't harmful to the torts eyes(can't think of the name) I made that one for the Ordanate Wood turtle hatchling I had rescused till it got a bigger one for it. and No, I don't have it yet, I feel I need to know more before I get it. I made a mistake taking a russian tortoise and putting it with my turtle several years ago then found out what it really needed and found it a home that day. I don't wanna make another mistake like that again, so I am trying to figure everything out before I get the tort.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Great that you are doing your homework. Go to the Tortoise Library, there is all the information you need to keeping a healthy RF through all stages. We all learn from our mistakes, some faster than others. Looks like you are on the right track now.

pnsprrt5863

5 Year Member
I read all of that three times.. I think I should know more then that though.. I would like to know everything about the tort possible. then I will get it. so any added info anyone has would be appreciated.

wheezysmomma

5 Year Member
British Columbia
Only thing I have heard about the window screens is they don't let in enough UV which is why we say to mount uvb Inside of an Indoor Enclosure so keep that in mind maybe getting some chicken wire or a wire with smaller holes your tort cannot fit through if something decided to go "tort fishing" would be better as UV is soooo important especially for little ones :) with the larger water dishes it looks like it would be great :) and as said before Good For You doing lots of research!! Most people don't and the torts suffer :( took me like 2mths before i got mine lol!

pnsprrt5863

5 Year Member
They have several trees that give them shade. and I heard it was the Glass that didnt let UV in.. Not the screen.. could be wrong.. I usually study a year or more before I get an animal.. I study every animal I can think of do several reports on them and then study again. and I usually keep doing that as well as take notes on everything. I would like to teach people about animals someday so everyday study is a must. and I read everything... after that Russian, I didn't want to take anymore chances.. He was with me close to a month.. I took the word of the pet store and was dead wrong on everything.. I didn't give him any calcium or the best food for him.. I still feel aweful about it... :(

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Sure sounds like you do your research.
They do like to burrow and hide under shrubs. What about adding a hosta in one more shaded corner? I think they will like the weeds.

It is true that window screen can block some UV. So a lightweight wood frame with larger wire (1/2"?) might be better.

pnsprrt5863

5 Year Member
Okay. I can re-do it. I will be moving the tort to a larger enclosure with hostas and alot of shelters and shadeand a lot of plants and water dishes, But I was afraid with a hatchling it would be too much.. I will make the changes! and thanks for all the advise.. I really want to do everything right. :) when it gets older do I need a bigger water bowl then the flower pot thing? and I have some coco coir type stuff, its the brick kind, should I put some of that in its hide? and different places? I use it on the indoor one.

Status
Not open for further replies.