Difference in RF & YF

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington TX.
Well, I actually work for a veterinarian, so I did take her to work the day after I bought her. I knew just by looking that it wasn't anything serious, just a third eyelid defect. This is something that could have happened after birth, or a genetic defect. She won't be bred since she has this problem.

I'm not exactly sure at what age they are considered full grown. They can be considerably larger than red-foots 16" to 20". In the wild they are found in more humid environments. I keep my yellows the same as my reds. It stays fairly humid here in North Texas for most of the year. I turn the sprinklers on in their pen every morning to create humidity. You seem to be doing the right things to keep the humidity up! Just make sure she's not too damp, and check the bottom (plastron) of her shell for any fungal shell rot.

She is most likely too young to tell the sex. They can sure surprise you after you've had your mind set on their sex. :) As they mature they will definitely make it clear what they are. I've noticed once they get about 6 or 7" you can make a positive I.D.

Sounds like you got her from a good place! The price seems right as well. I hope you have a good experience with her. Some yellows can be a bit shy, but if you keep them from a young age that seems to disappear.

Good luck with her, oh, visit Terry's red-foot page @ www.turtletary.com He has great care sheets.

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.