Difference in RF & YF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hello I was wondering if anyone here owns Red Foots and Yellow Foots? I was just wondering are there any difference other than size as adults and their color. Like do they have the same personalities? I did hear YF's are more shy than RF. Is that true? Love to see pics of your YF. Most of this thread is about RF's, so I'm just curious.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
"Most" are concerned about the fact that redfoots are somewhat shy because they don't like that much direct sun/light.

Yellowfoot tortoises are basically from the Amazon Basin.. right in the midst of the "JUNGLE".. so they are very shy. Of course some keepers don't know that so they subject them to more 'light' than they would deal with if they were in the wild. True.. "dapplings" of light do exist in the jungle.. so that's how they justify keeping them exposed to more light the way they do - I 'spose.

NERD

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
So they are very sensitive to humidity and light?

By the way Redfoot Nerd I was checking out your website! Your Torts and Terrapins are simply amazing!!! I really have used your Redfoot care section as a Bible when caring for my RF Tater. I do the same feeding schedule that you have posted. She is really thriving!!!

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I keep both red and yellow-foots. In my experience, yellows seem to be a tad bit more shy than red-foots. Wild caught red and yellow of course are more shy than captive-bred. All of my reds are very outgoing except for my big male that is shy. 4 out of the seven of my yellows are very active and not shy at all. Like Terry said, yellows come from deeper in the jungle where it tends to be darker. Red-foots are much more tolerant of the sun. Mine will actively seek a bright spot of their enclosure and sit there with their legs stretched out and head on the ground. My yellows stay more shaded and only really come out to eat and drink. Here are some pictures of mine.

My group of yellow-foots
100_2331.jpg

Female
100_2329.jpg

Male Female
100_2123.jpg

Males
100_2333.jpg

Red Foots

Male
100_2080.jpg

Females
100_2325.jpg

100_2197.jpg

-Matt

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I second that Matt!! ~W~O~W~!!! Have you ever experienced RF & YF mating or getting a RF/YF mix hatchling?

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Thanks guys! I have others as well, but they didn't make it into the pictures. My smallest male yellow-foot is crazy charged up when it comes to breeding. He hasn't been successful as of yet, but he is always trying to mount the ladies. My group is fairly new, so no babies yet.

I keep my reds separate from my yellows so I don't get any crosses. I'm not really against it, but I have the room for them to be in separate pens.

-Matt

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
N2TORTS said:
matt41gb said:
Very Nice set up .. and awesome torts! .. Gotta love them big burly "adults"... :)

Thanks! I love the big ones, so much personality. I quit keeping hatchlings since you have to keep them inside and they won't follow you around the yard. I took some comparison pictures so you can see the differences between red and yellow-foots.

Both males of similar size. Red-Foot on left, Yellow-Foot on right.

100_2401.jpg

100_2402.jpg

100_2403.jpg

Both females of similar size. Red-Foot on left, Yellow-Foot on right.

100_2404.jpg

100_2405.jpg

100_2406.jpg

Some pictures of the pens that I've been working on.

100_2392.jpg

100_2381.jpg

100_2382.jpg

-Matt

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Great PICS !*!*!*!*.... DIG DEM' BURLEY BOYZ!...

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Your Enclosure is sooooo nice! By the way I love the pics of RF & YF side by side!!!!

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Crazybirds said:
Your Enclosure is sooooo nice! By the way I love the pics of RF & YF side by side!!!!

Thanks! I'm glad that I had one of each species around the same size to compare for you. I hope the pictures helped you out.

-Matt

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Im not a big fan of Red or Yellow Footed tortoises; but your tortoises are BEAUTIFUL! Love the smooth shells! Are they wild caughts? And of course I love your setup!

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Have you ever kept a red or yellow foot? They are so wonderful! They are so full of personality. Thanks for the kind words! They are really really smooth because I believe most of mine were wild caught, but mine were all long term captives, so they aren't real shy. They were always taken care of. I have a couple of red-foots that were badly taken care of and are extremely pyramided, it's really sad. If you've never kept one, I suggest you get one, they are great! What do you keep?

-Matt

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Im more attracted to Leopard Tortoises, Desert Tortoises, and of course the mighty Galapagos. But now...Im looking at Red Footed Tortoises differently... I use to have a Male Califonia DT...He is an awesome tortoise, but I am now living in a apartment =(..So I had gave him up. He got adopted by TFO Member (Candy). But I am currently looking to purchase or adopt a hatchling.

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I'm a total newbie in the Tortoise world. The first Tortoise I ever saw in person was a Red foot and I just fell in love with him instantly. I keep gathering info and comparing and trying to sift through all the information, I wanna do the absolute best for my babies. The pictures really help for newbies like myself. Everyone here is so helpful and kind. I don't mind getting constructive criticism because then I learn. I'm always interested in learning about all tortoises...hence yellowfoot questions.

Yellow Foots...are they readily available by breeders in the large numbers like we see redfoots?

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I'm glad you have a good attitude about learning! Everyone on here is very nice, and some have tons of experience with different breeds of tortoises. I'm glad you have an interest in Red and Yellow-Foots.

Yes, yellow-foots are available, and aren't hard to find. Visit www.kingsnake.com classifieds section, and you will find babies to adults for sale.

-Matt

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
matt41gb said:
I'm glad you have a good attitude about learning! Everyone on here is very nice, and some have tons of experience with different breeds of tortoises. I'm glad you have an interest in Red and Yellow-Foots.

Yes, yellow-foots are available, and aren't hard to find. Visit www.kingsnake.com classifieds section, and you will find babies to adults for sale.

-Matt

I couldn't help myself...I had to get a YF!! We are going to Lowe's in a few days to get some lumber and start building an outdoor enclosure for summer. Anyway here's a couple Pics of "Mango" sorry the pic quality isn't great. He/she is about 3 1/2 inches SCL. Very sweet tortoise. Thanks for looking and thanks for helping!

Anyone else have Yellow Foots? Please post pics!!!

Attachments

• Baby Yellowfoot 003.JPG
    Baby Yellowfoot 003.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 19
  • Baby Yellowfoot 004.JPG
    Baby Yellowfoot 004.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Baby Yellowfoot 010.JPG
    Baby Yellowfoot 010.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Baby Yellowfoot 011.JPG
    Baby Yellowfoot 011.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 20

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Wow! Congrats on your new baby, and welcome to your newest addiction! I predict that you will get another very soon :O). Did you get her off of Kingsnake? She is very beautiful! Please let me and others know if you have any questions about keeping her.

I've had my little Daisy for 4 years now. I had owned red-foots long before her, but she was my first yellow. I bought her at a reptile expo for $40 since she had some extra skin growing around her eye nobody would buy her. Naturally I felt bad, and the price was awesome. She's still doing well after 4 years with me. She is very smooth, and her eye never bothers her.

Please keep us updated on Mango!

This is Daisy when I first brought her home 4 years ago.
Daisy002.jpg

Daisy001.jpg

Daisy005.jpg

100_1461.jpg

100_1462.jpg

This is her now.
100_2482.jpg

-Matt

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Wow she is the cutest thing ever! Did you take her to a vet when you got her home to tell you she's gonna be okay or did the people at the show tell you? The reason I ask is if I saw her at a show I would want her too, but I'd be sooo afraid she may be real sick. You probably know what is very serious and what isn't. I just haven't got the years of experience to determine whether or not something can be fixed. Well if she was $40 than I do agree she was worth the risk and now you have the cutest YF! Talk about the best $40.00 you ever spent!!!:) Can I ask you since I'm new to Tortoises approximately how long does it take (in years) till the YF's reach their max size? Do you give them more humidity than your Redfoots? I have a reptifogger and my hubby rigged the hose up so RF & YF both have it in their enclosures. And I bath them regularly and they have water dishes and I moisten their mossy beds underneath their hides. They both come out and hold their heads up to enjoy the fog. If anyone rec. anything else let me know!
She is about 3 1/2 inches long and was told she is a yearling and I'm trying to see if I can tell the sex. Mango's tail is fat and stubby so I was thinking female, but in everyones experience is that too young to tell? I'll try to get some close ups. I didn't get her from Kingsnake.com, because that site confuses me. I guess I need to stop being so weird and really sit and look. LOL!! I got her from the turtle source. Although I had a bad experience online (everyone knows those 2 horrible sites!!), but this company I really liked and I decided to take the chance. She was $115. She came bright eyed, active, and eating right out of the box. They gave me food & moss with her. As far as Kingsnake goes is there a breeder in particular that has great torts? I read somewhere I think someone said Tom Crutchfield?

Matt you got any babies or older you wanna sell?? RF or YF? :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.