Is this normal ?? (soft shell)

Sid420

So my baby sulcata seems to be happy and eats well ,walks around and poops ever other day ,poops seems to be solid but a bit wet since I always catch the tortoise pooping lol

My concern is that I was feeling the bottom of his shell on his belly and it was pretty soft im not sure if that's normal or I'm paranoid?
His top part of his shell seems to be fine I assum since I try the same but it's not as soft , I feed him grass and clover with some kale and chard now and then wit cactus pad ,I have him on organic peat moss mixed with Orchard bark ,no fertilizer

One thing is I'm using a normal lamp since my other uvb lamp blew out (sparks every where lucky to not have got electrifyed) his temp seems to stay from 85-95 degrees threw out the day and night time goes from 80-90 degrees depending on the weather,I take him out every day to get his organic sunlight so I hope that helps but I'm a worried to see if his sick or if it's just me worrying

Sid420

Snapchat-8909606963687769812.jpg

Attachments

• Snapchat-4497040130190610279.jpg
    Snapchat-4497040130190610279.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Snapchat-4497040130190610279.jpg
    Snapchat-4497040130190610279.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 16

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How old is he and can you explain how soft it feels? Some slight give is normal from hatchling to a few weeks maybe a month or so but not so much after that. How long do you get him out into the sun?

Sid420

It took me a couple pics to get ,he or she keeps moving ,also the tortoise always let's me pet is head it's so dang cute but I hope his find ,when ever I put him in his tank he goes to sleep in his little wood hut or eats and walks for a bit but when I put him on my bed or outside it's like he wants to run every where

Sid420

How old is he and can you explain how soft it feels? Some slight give is normal from hatchling to a few weeks maybe a month or so but not so much after that. How long do you get him out into the sun?

Well it's been maybe a month or 2 from when I got him ,I really hope it's because the lamp I'm using is not a reptiles lamp just a normal lamp for reading ,I get him out for about 30 mins it's really hot where I'm at I'm sure the more the better ,the bottoms of the shell it self is hard but when I push it it goes in a little bit ,again I might be paranoid because he eats well poops pees and drinks water I assume his maybe 4 months

Sid420

I hope the pictures upload but I posted the lamp I'm using for now ,I ordered a better one online since all my local pet shops are over priced for a lamp ,30 for a lamp cheapest was 25 ,I found it for 6$ online :) but thats all I got ,he also seems to dig him self in the corner where the lamp is I assume that's normal

Attachments

• 1458702715525-85190528.jpg
    1458702715525-85190528.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 14

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
If he's getting daily sunshine then he should be fine without the expensive lamp. Regular incandescent flood bulbs work fine.

What are you using for night heat?

When you put him on your bed or outside and he runs like crazy, that is panic and fear at being exposed and in an unfamiliar area. He will do better if you make him a safe outdoor enclosure and let him get used to being in the same space regularly.

The plastron should have some give to it. It should feel like a plastic butter tub lid. It should not feel spongy.

Where did you get the tortoise and how was it started by the breeder? Wet routine, or dry? How much does the tortoise weigh?

Sid420

If he's getting daily sunshine then he should be fine without the expensive lamp. Regular incandescent flood bulbs work fine.

What are you using for night heat?

When you put him on your bed or outside and he runs like crazy, that is panic and fear at being exposed and in an unfamiliar area. He will do better if you make him a safe outdoor enclosure and let him get used to being in the same space regularly.

The plastron should have some give to it. It should feel like a plastic butter tub lid. It should not feel spongy.

Where did you get the tortoise and how was it started by the breeder? Wet routine, or dry? How much does the tortoise weigh?

So the plastron feels like the butter tub lid if not a bit more stuff :) and when he runs I mean he walks happy to my blanket since it's like a hill sometimes to get to me just to pet him on the head ,he loves when I shower him with warm water ,although the green stuff on his mouth has me wondering what it might be ,maybe the alfalfa pellets ,for the night heat I use the lamp I posted a pic of the black one the degrees get to 85 -90

I got the little guy at a pet shop the lady didn't know muxh but the incloser was dry with a water tub a wood hut there where 2 with a red heating lamp ,they where feeding him roman lettuce, I changed the diet to grass clovers and kale mixed with chard a cactus pads

And I'll buy some equipment for him to build a better home ,people tell me a kiddy pool would be nice as well cheap to

GOMIE WEIGHT : 51.3 grams and 1.81 in ounces