soft shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevguam

5 Year Member
My sully is at least 7 months old if not older, he is 2oz he sleeps a ton and I barely see him open his eyes if not at all I soak him daily and feed him greens and mazari daily it seems like he doesn't eat that Mich at all I noticed his shell is soft still if this a concern for his age? I do supplement calcium from the get go and I'm supplementing a multi vitamin now, I run a mercury vapor 125watt on his box and a heat lamp at night, he has water 24/7 any advice will help thank u

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
He's very small for his age. Does he get direct sunshine? What are his four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking spot and night? Is your night heat lamp a colored bulb? And lastly, how was he cared for before you got him? Substrate? SoaKs?

dustee35

10 Year Member!
please take what Tom has written to heart. I had a turtle that was very small for it's age and was soft and he did not make it. He never put on weight and he was not very active and despite everything I did he did not make it. Good luck with your tort. Deanna

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
A good idea would to take him out to the sun... that's what he needs the most. It can really make him more energized!

Mordy

5 Year Member
Miami, Fl
my sulcata was beginning to get a soft shell because he wasnt eating. he wasnt getting nutrients, and someone in this forum advised a baby food soak with calcium suppliment. mordy drank some and some got absorbed. after about a week he began to get better. its been about 3 weeks and his shell is much harder and hes gaining weight. however, your case might be more serious. there could be a chance of renal failure. id read tom's post and at least locate a exotic vet.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
What type of MVB bulb are you using?
I remember you asking about bulbs previously in another thread, what did you end up going with?

kevguam

5 Year Member
my gf has been to the vet now a few times with him we have him in. A 3 x 4 table with loose Coco husk we have a solar global 125watt on one side then at night I have a house on his table with a heat lamp he getting fed all leafy greens with herptivite and Rep Cal calcium I have read toms forum and I have fallowed everything on there, he has been eating but just the past week he wont open his eyes and became very inactive, I try to get him out side daily, he gets soaked once a day along with a shipload bowl of water he can go in and out, he has been a slow grower I have posted on her before concerning his weight but I kept to a diet and trryed new things even mozari etc the pet store we got him in wasn't the best set up for tortoises they had spiral bulbs and had them all in hay and was just feeding them mustard greens, but he has always been active and a normal tortoise and has been growing to our charts but just this last week or so he has done a 180 for the worst :/ we have another appointment tomorrow

The bulb is a solar glo exo terra 125watt mercury vapor

kevguam

5 Year Member
Sorry been busy the vet said most likely lack of calcium even though I been giving him tons, and thats why he hasnt been eating and acting weird and that for him not growing is weird because he had been eating a lot since we got him and that it might be a genetic thing on that end, but he wants us to feed him calcium and multi vitamin mixed in puree of like cactus and greens, and keep soaking him and if he doesn't start eating in 2 days to bring him in and we will start tube feeding him, they gave him. A IV of vitamin a and d and calcium

Tortoise Princess

5 Year Member
Manila, Philippines
Just continue giving him natural sunlight. I think calcium is best absorbed when there's natural sunlight. The vet trips might also be stressing your tort out....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Vet visits can stress out a tortoise, but sometimes you need to take them in for their health. Diet can sometimes cause problems but you said dark leafy greens, would you mind listing what dark leafy greens they are? Sounds lke you are doing everything good, so I am a little perplexed.

kevguam

5 Year Member
I've only.taken him 3 times in the past 8months or so, once for a check up when I first got.him and now for what's going on, I feed him mustard greens romaine are the main leafs I feed.him, I even get spring mix and feed Kirby a hand full ummm oh and mazori everything dusted with multis and calcium

Status
Not open for further replies.