Anyone else with this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My leopard nibbler sometimes what appears to be sleep in his eyes in thie morning. Its only in the morning after he wakes up likes his eyes are watery. Not dripping with water or anything and my other one (the new found out female) Tessa i dont really notice it on her but she hides alot.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Twtraudio, I so not have a Leo. But often low humidity can be the culprit of watery eyes. How is his humidity? A humid area of about 70% should be good that is what their burrows would be in the wild. I went back over your threads and also found you did not quarantine your new Leo when you got it but placed it right in with nibbler. This new tort could have been sick or had an eye infection or URI and did not show symptoms, yet passed it on to nibbler. Just some thoughts. Try raising the humidity and soaking nibbler a little more to see if this helps. If not I would take him to the vet ASAP. By the way you do clean your hands between handling one tort to another right? If not you could pass illnesses also.

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yea i know i didnt quarantine but she was very well taken as i knew the prior owner from a friend but either way your right. I thimk they do need high humidity but like i said its only in the morning after he wipes it away hea ane she are fine. But i will try couple and prolly get them to the vet anyways for peace of mind.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Twtraudio, I am sorry if you felt I was scolding you for not quarantining them. That was not my intention. (though I choose to quarantine all my new torts. I even quarantined the torts I got from Egyptiandan and HermanniChris and I trust their care.) I was just trying to make you aware that even well cared for torts can carry illnesses, parasites or pathogens and not show any signs or symptoms. Quarantine is a personal choice. Some people do not quarantine, some do for 3 months, others for 6, and some for as long as a year.

Now, on to the ‘sleep’ in the eyes first thing in the morning. This is not normal. This is a sign that something is wrong. It could be as simple as low humidity (simple in that no vet needed, just simply raising the humidity). Or it could be something worse (something that a vet $$$ is needed for). But either way low humidity or something worse, if it is not correct for this tort it could get worse.

If it was me, (this is just my opinion, take it for what it is worth) I would raise the humidity and give extra soaks to see if this alleviates the eye problem within a week. If it does great, if not, or it worsens contact the vet. My feelings are, do the least expensive thing first as it is usually less stressful for the tort and my pocket book.

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oh i know you werent scolding and i appreciate your input sorry if i came off like that. I think deep down i know i should have but i trusted where she came from but its no excuse. I will deifnatley raise the humidity and try extra soaks for sure but they need to get to the vet for a yearly check up anyways ! Thankyou for your aswer and opinion i am easy going and its everyones gods given right to an opinoin and suggestion and hey i asked for them LOL ! Thankyou crazy1 ! ( one thing i hate bout texting or typing to someone you dont know the demeaner behind it)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
twtraudio said:
Thankyou crazy1 ! ( one thing i hate bout texting or typing to someone you dont know the demeaner behind it)

Your welcome :) and I totally agree with your comment about texting and typing so I try and use the smilies when I can. Unfortunately it does not always work.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.