Is this normal? Leo hatchling

Tort4u2love

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
IHi I've got a baby leo that's only a few weeks old and today has been acting a little weird he was slow to wake up and I moved him to his food so he'd eat. And he's wanted to sleep all day. I woke him up to soak him. He did eat a little & pooped but I noticed that he looks like he's breathing weird. Here r my numbers....
Yellow-basking
Black-hide
Silver-ambient temp/humidity

I'm trying to post a video of his breathing ...bare with me

Think I got the video uploaded ...fingers crossed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZVOkg8AZJQ&feature=youtube_gd

Attachments

• 1381944617620.jpg
    1381944617620.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 1381944640162.jpg
    1381944640162.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 1381944683200.jpg
    1381944683200.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 1381944733651.jpg
    1381944733651.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 1381944770257.jpg
    1381944770257.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 103

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is his breathing like that all the time or only when you take him out or mess with him?

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Looks normal to me too. Now, if your Leo had bubbles coming from his nose or mouth and was constantly opening his mouth, we'd have a bigger issue. Everything looks great though!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How cold does it get at night and where did you get this tortoise? Any idea how it was started?

Tort4u2love

5 Year Member
Indiana
Tom, I got him from Greg T here on TF ...the hatchlings that were the rainy day surprise. He uses ur hot & humid method as well as I do. The enclosure never gets below 81 ...no bubbles or running nose or yucky eyes.

Thanks Sulcatadud3...I really am trying :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Greg is fantastic. That eliminates poor hatchling care as even remotely possible.

Everything you are doing sounds good. I don't want to call you paranoid, but perhaps your baby is just relaxing a bit more today. They have ravenous active days, and other days where they lounge around more sometimes. I don't see anything in your temps or care regime that would make me worry and we know your baby was started very well. Does he get sunshine? How much and how often? Are you using indoor UV? What all are you using for lighting and basking? Neal found his leopards got more active when he added a florescent tube at one point. Is the enclosure pretty well lit up during the day?

I'd just watch and see how things go over the next few days. Keep us posted.

Tort4u2love

5 Year Member
Indiana
Thanks Tom! I probably am paranoid... Tuckers is my first hatchling so little nervous cause I heard they r more fragile. Greg was awesome!! I have a MVB uba/uvb Solar glo and a CHE on thermostat. Its been too cold in Indiana to let him outside highest temp was 70ish. And the whole enclosure is very well lit except the humid hide. Thanks again! I feel much better :))

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Tom said:
Greg is fantastic. That eliminates poor hatchling care as even remotely possible.

I'd just watch and see how things go over the next few days. Keep us posted.

Wow Tom, thanks for the compliment. I finally got the video to work at home and it isn't what I thought you were describing. The head bobbing like that is pretty normal, usually done when they are a little apprehensive, so not something that worries me much. Like Tom and others said, maybe he's just having a down day. Keep an eye on him and let me know if anything changes for the worse.

He's still a cute little guy!! :)