Is this normal behaviour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjm1302

5 Year Member
Being new to Stars I am curious about behaviours i have seen in the past week.
1) resting their heads when sleeping? Only one of mind does this.
2) stretching and taking what looks like a big breath? the other one does this.
3) putting head completely under water during soaking

Let me know please if these are all normal.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
1 and 3 sound normal to me. The stretching thing is odd--does it have bubbles in its nose? I've never seen any of my torts do this.

tjm1302

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
1 and 3 sound normal to me. The stretching thing is odd--does it have bubbles in its nose? I've never seen any of my torts do this.

there are a few bubbles and she seems to be trying to wipe her nose... I cant get her to see a vet till Sunday and that is a maybe. This is because where we live there are no vets... the closest vet is hundreds of miles away and only comes near by twice a month... i have sms'd and hope to get on this week's route (if they are coming this weekend)... so if she is sick I just dont know what i can do.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
She sounds very sick, esp with the bubbles. I'd say respiratory infection. Bubbles usually mean upper, but gasping is a symptom of lower respiratory infection.

If the sick tortoise is living with your other ones, seperate her IMMEDIATELY. You don't want the rest of your torts getting sick.

tjm1302

5 Year Member
she is eating fine though.... so is there anything i can do to help her?

Starry night

5 Year Member
the tortoise has a respiratory infection. You must separate it from the others or it will get the others infected if they already are not. Sleeping with their heads and legs hanging out is perfectly normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.