Strange Behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_and_Lil_Poop

5 Year Member
We have two cherry head tortoises. The older one is approximately 5 years old, and younger one that is about 3 years old.

We always thought that the older one was female based on body shape, although (s)he has always demonstrated male-like behaviours such as head bobbing against the little and generally more aggressive. Recently, (s)he has been mounting the younger one making clucking noises, which we know have been a male trait. So now we think the older one is male. One strange thing he has been doing is that he always tries to bite the head of the younger one while mounting and clucking. Is this common mating behaviour? Or is this some sort of prison domination behaviour between two females/males?

Any input would be great.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Im not so sure that i would say this would be bullying. Lets see if we can get JD to jump an answer or someone more experienced with this...

Big_and_Lil_Poop

5 Year Member
I didn't think it was bullying either, the biting never occurs unless the older one is mounting. In fact, the younger one tends to push the older one around more often. They are quite the pair.

skottip

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Females will sometimes Psuedocoupulate. When I first saw my female Redfoot mounting my male, boy did I get confused. lol
I wouldn't worry a bit...

Status
Not open for further replies.