Is this normal male behaviour

Shellybob3

Location (City and/or State)
Dewsbury
Just looking for a bit of advice (reassurance), for the past few months my 3 year old marginated tortoise has been showing his genitalia when going to the toilet. He won't mess in his tortoise table and bangs on glass till I get him out and put him on a puppy pad, which is fine as he's done this from the day I got him 2 and half years ago, however I've only noticed him doing this display (and showing he is a male) for the last few months, he does put himself away after a few minutes and everything seems clean. Just wondered if this is normal behaviour or maybe needs checking out? TYI

Shellybob3

Dewsbury
Where does your dog do it?
Lol, my dog hasn't used puppy pads for 14 years, I only buy them for my tortoise, he's so demanding, I work full time but luckily live with my retired mum, so she has tortoise toilet duties through the week..she always wanted to be a grandma 😊

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Lol, my dog hasn't used puppy pads for 14 years, I only buy them for my tortoise, he's so demanding, I work full time but luckily live with my retired mum, so she has tortoise toilet duties through the week..she always wanted to be a grandma 😊
You should be very impressed with his self-control - most tortoises would go whenever and where they feel like it ! It will make your life much easier. ! Our tortoise knows at certain times in his routine that we want him to go, but he doesn't always manage it.But he is 22 years old - to be that controlled at 3 is fantastic.
Angie ( UK)

Shellybob3

Dewsbury
Thankyou, he definitely knows when he needs to use bathroom lol, but we have to work round his body clock. Awe I'm really glad you have a understanding of tortoise routines,I'm sure people think I'm mad, I need to get a video of him at toilet time. Wow hope mines calmed down by 22 👍 x