PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack-'n'-Jill

5 Year Member
My baby Star, Jack has been making squeaking noises for a few weeks now. He has been eating well and his behaviour hasn't changed so I thought perhaps he was just a little more vocal than my other tortoise.

However, these squeaks have got a lot more louder and far more frequent and i'm now very concerned!!! Each time he does one he seems to be sticking his head right out of his shell ... it looks like something is stuck in his throat - But he's so small I cannot see and there's no way of checking. I've placed him in warm water for the past 20 minutes to encourage him to drink but it doesn't seem to be working. He doesn't seem to be struggling for breath and he is still active, but something's not right!

Please could anyone give me advice on how to help? Has anyone else heard or seen this behaviour?

Thank you in advance, Callum

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
It sounds like it could be a lower respiratory infection. Best to bring him to an exotic vet and have a throat culture done to fnd out whats going on.

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Callum, Sorry to hear one of your Stars are not feeling well. Where are you located and do you have a Exotic (Reptile) Vet?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Callum is in London Robyn. :D

Danny

Jack-'n'-Jill

5 Year Member
Yes Robyn there's an exotic vet close by which seems highly recommended. I have contacted them and although they're busy, he will try to see Jack at the earliest opportunity next week ... so fingers crossed!

Thanks for your advice Danny, I didn't even consider a respiratory problem cause of the noise he was making. I've increased his temperature slightly and I'll decrease the humidity. Hopefully this will make him a little more comfortable until he sees the vet. Do you know the success rate of tortoises getting over this? ... I'm worried cause he is so young and he has seemed to gone down hill very quickly!

Regards, Callum

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Cal - :( What's happening down there in Southampton? You must be feeling really crappy Fingers crossed for Jack, lets hope he will be OK!? Have you spoken to Marcus? Send a PM if you want to off load - Thinking of you all - Leanne x

tortoise_lover

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
in case there is no vet.. what should we do? there are no exotic vet at my town..
for jack: hope your torts get well soon :D

Status
Not open for further replies.