Is this climate suitable for adult Redfoots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinterRose

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Huntington Beach, CA
Hi! We currently have 2 lil redfoots that we keep indoors in Huntington Beach, CA. We are house hunting but coastal Orange County is too expensive. Eventually we want our lil guys to have a big yard and a comfortable climate.

I know FL and TX are great but I think the climate would be too great a change for us (i'm scared of big bugs:p) so I'm searching for a happy medium. Oceanside, CA has a typical humidity range of 42% to 95% and typical temps of 40-77F.
WDYT? Would this be workable if we used those out door heat lamps?
Or maybe it's easier to have a hotter enviroment and use misters. Ugh!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My personal opinion, is any place would be good as long as you can afford to do what it takes to make the temps/humidity good. So, pick the spot you want to live and make whatever adjustments that may be needed. I don't know the temps and humidity N2TORTS has, but he is in Cali. Look his post up and even shoot him a pm, he will give you some ideas.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
>.< sound like similar San Francisco weather! lol... I too am having issues but down side to mine is, ours is gloomy and foggy most of the time. Im in the process of building a greenhouse (looking at around 3ft by 5ft for starters) and see how it goes. I would feel safer if i dont have electrical wires running around the yard. Ill keep you posted!

Just an FYI i own a Greek and not a redfoot... one day tho! lol....

WinterRose

5 Year Member
Huntington Beach, CA
Jlant85 said:
>.< sound like similar San Francisco weather! lol... I too am having issues but down side to mine is, ours is gloomy and foggy most of the time. Im in the process of building a greenhouse (looking at around 3ft by 5ft for starters) and see how it goes. I would feel safer if i dont have electrical wires running around the yard. Ill keep you posted!

Yes, please do! I never considered a greenhouse. You would have the ability to control your climate AND minimize predator activity. Hmm... but I wonder how expensive it turns out to be..

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
WinterRose said:
Jlant85 said:

Yes, please do! I never considered a greenhouse. You would have the ability to control your climate AND minimize predator activity. Hmm... but I wonder how expensive it turns out to be..

Check it out! NOT THAT EXPENSIVE! lol....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMAcs-uPTC4

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
wellington said:
My personal opinion, is any place would be good as long as you can afford to do what it takes to make the temps/humidity good. So, pick the spot you want to live and make whatever adjustments that may be needed. I don't know the temps and humidity N2TORTS has, but he is in Cali. Look his post up and even shoot him a pm, he will give you some ideas.

Well Barb … they never shot me a PM so here is some insight . Currently the OP lives about 12 miles from me ( close) . HB is a great place to raise RF’s … so is O’side the new town they are considering ( about 45 miles to the south of us) it is even better. San Diego to Ocean Side is one of the top places for growers of all sorts to produce, propagate ect .. on the west coast. Most anything dealing with exotic plants goes hand in hand with exotic reptiles i.e.: tortoises . A much never discussed issue within this forum. Lighting , heat , humidity all applies to exotic horticulture as well…..matter of fact - it’s nearly the exact thing ..it’s just the way the information is provided to you. For the OP . you will be able to keep your RF’s out year round .. With of course heated hide for winter time. I myself run heat ( just not as much ) even during the spring early summer months at night time to keep temps in the upper 70’s for night time comfort and less problems with RI’s due to the damp cool mornings . Keeping the heat up this past year has worked very well for me .. and I think the proof is in the pudding …. I mean Hypo’s ~ :p

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Huntington Beach wouldn't be to bad, like everyone able said a dry hide maybe run some heat cuz living on the pacific coast especially right on be beach the weather is determined by our ocean, good news is our weather is very stable because of the ocean. June gloom doesn't last forever in fact apt of morning now half way through June are now sunny. So. Ca. In general is great tortoises and turtle weather, I'm just north of you and we have the same weather an all my tortoises and turtles are out year round

WinterRose

5 Year Member
Huntington Beach, CA
Hey JD i was gonna pm u and got sidetracked... I know ur close by and would b familiar with oceanside weather. Were gonna go look this weekend... Partly will depend upon how much property can get 4 the price. N2TORTS is.living the dream with his herd :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.