Is this cactus safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

haidao88

5 Year Member
I want to feed it to my red foot, I think it's Mexican fence post cactus but not sureImageUploadedByTortForum1368772443.384762.jpg

My tortoise Peach hates apples

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
I don't believe there is a cactus that is poisonous to torts. If it has spines on it, you may want to remove them. Other than that, I would take a piece and see if your tort will eat it. BTW, cactus is the only plant that I would do this with. To double check, you may want to id the cactus plant you have and then do a search on the net to see if it is edible. If humans can eat it, more than likely, animals can too.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I know some succulents in general can be poisonous but cacti are generally safe. If I run out of food for my baby in the winter sometimes I sneak a few leaves off my mom's Christmas cactus... don't tell my mom though, she'd be unhappy about that, haha.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some species of cactus ARE toxic. I don't know about that one. I feed about 8 different varieties of opuntia and one variety of organ pipe cactus.

haidao88

5 Year Member
I think it's the Mexican fence post but I'm no sure

acrantophis

5 Year Member
That is most definitely trichocereus pachanoi aka San Pedro cactus. I have over 50 on my property. The skin contains mescaline! It is used as a hallucinogen by shamans in the Andes. I wouldn't suggest giving it to your tortoise!

haidao88

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the info I was iffy lol lucky I didn't take my parents advice

redbeef

5 Year Member
it might not be a san pedro cactus...there are cacti that look just like that that are non psychedelic, but the members on here are right: not all cactus is safe to feed. The cactus that I have which looks exactly like that produces edible fruit: I eat this fruit sometimes, so if your cactus flowers and produces fruit, it might be safe for a redfoot to eat...I'd avoid non opuntia species for wholesale feeding, though, just to be safe

Status
Not open for further replies.