Is this an acceptable enclosure?

cgraziano

I have been thinking about getting a tortoise for about 6 months now and I decided to finally start putting the habitat together. I know that tables are the best, but I'm not very good with tools. Would this be an acceptable enclosure? I know I'm going to have to block off the walls so it can't see out, but other than that I don't see much wrong with it, or maybe that's just my untrained eye. Thanks for the help

http://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/s...ngs-easy-access-guinea-pig-habitat-35967.html

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to TFO. The short answer is - No.

The longer answer is:

It is too small for a Russian. Unless you're getting a hatchling you need a minimum floor area of 4'x8'

The wire sides are useless for holding in heat and humidity

The wire restricts the hanging of lamps. The temperature under a basking lamp is adjusted by raising it or lowering it and the temperature directly underneath that lamp is very important to the health of your tortoise.

Please read the following so you understand what a Russian actually needs:

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

And if you are thinking of getting a baby read this
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I agree with all the above. Also a table is not the best enclosure. Usually they have too short of sides, open top and unless you build your own, they are too small and too pricy for their bad construction for a proper tortoise home.

Mr Buster

Reno NV
Save a lot of money by buying a plastic Rubbermaid tote 45 - 50lbs. Get on that has wheels. They are very cheap at Walmart. About $40 for coconut coir blocks should give you 5-6 inches of substrate. A couple hides and a couple clay type dishes for food and water. The cost will be for the mercury bulb and heat lamp and stand. That put me out $140. You will want those lights on a timer. I got the timer at Lowes for like $10. Then you want infra red thermometer to measure the surface and a UVB meter and a meter to read humidity. Good luck. By the way, don't use a glass enclosure like an aquarium, they do not recognize glass and will keep trying to go through it.

Mr Buster

Reno NV
Sorry I meant a 45-50 gallon tote, not lbs. Don't get caught up in trying to create an eye candy habitat, build a home for your pet instead.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Sorry I meant a 45-50 gallon tote, not lbs. Don't get caught up in trying to create an eye candy habitat, build a home for your pet instead.
You're absolutely right about building a home for your tort rather than what looks pretty to you :)

I know you get on with your rubbermaid tote, but it is important to establish the size of the tortoise before recommending it.

If this tortoise is nearing adulthood then the floor area of such a crate is far too small

Mr Buster

Reno NV
I would not say "far too small". My 45 gallon Rubbermaid tote is approx. 3ft x 20 inch. I agree though that I would not want to go smaller. With sight blocks I would say it is adequate.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I would not say "far too small". My 45 gallon Rubbermaid tote is approx. 3ft x 20 inch. I agree though that I would not want to go smaller. With sight blocks I would say it is adequate.

That is "far to small" for any adult tortoise. That's what @JoesMum was saying.

glass isn't an issue., that's a myth. They only have an issue when the glass tank is too small. I have over 20 torts and turtles and haven't had one have any issues anytime they were in glass. Don't you think if a tortoise had problem with glass so would water turtles, fish,snakes and lizards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Buster

Reno NV
You probably have more experience with glass enclosures than I do, Mine lasted about 30 minutes watching as Buster repeatedly slammed into the side of the tank head first. According to Ernie Johnson who I did another thread on, the running into glass can eventually do damage the tortoise's beak.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
You probably have more experience with glass enclosures than I do, Mine lasted about 30 minutes watching as Buster repeatedly slammed into the side of the tank head first. According to Ernie Johnson who I did another thread on, the running into glass can eventually do damage the tortoise's beak.

I agree it's not good if they have issues with it, and some probably can. Then you can cover it so they can't see out.

Sometimes any tort put in any type enclosure goes nuts trying to get out at first but eventually they settle down. No doubt they could get injured and I agree with you there too.

Mr Buster

Reno NV
I am not seeing an issue myself with my 45 gallon tote. In fact in some other forums and websites and some experts are not making an issue out of the size of the tote, many recommend it. So I really do not see how people seemingly pick out of thin air "8 foot by 4 foot".

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I had a disagreement with a mod of another site about the same issue. She was saying 4x2 as a minimum (which by the way is notably bigger than your tote), but keeping an adult tortoise in that for anything but a temporary basis to me seems insane.

Will it survive in the space? Yes. Will it thrive? Never. Is it humane? Absolutely not.

So ask yourself, is your tortoise an object to keep because you think it's "cool", or do you want to provide a quality life for your tortoise.

Totes are fine for hatchlings, transportation, or for temporary housing.

TheSulcata

Yeah, tortoise tables are the worst. They need large areas, humid areas, and a heated area. That guinea pig thing is almost the worst thing you could get. But no hard feelings! I would recommend researching about them more