Is this a big enough enclosure for a male russian tortoise.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
You can see the tortoise in the enclosure. That size is good for that size tortoise. What are the dimensions of the enclosure? It looks like he has plenty of room, just not a lot of sight barriers. The substrate looks to be cypress mulch, though I could be wrong...

Last edited:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I'm worry that water dish. Can be a trap when your Russian fall in.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ. This summer you'll move it outside to a larger enclosure anyway ? Right

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
For the tort size I think your enclosures size can be great. Right now it's too plain.
I'd add lots of sight barriers (rocks, drift wood, dirt hills, plants) so he can't see his whole kingdom at once glance. The more he has to do (walk over, walk under, walk around, hide in, investigate) the more content he'll be.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
My Russian currently has an outside enclosure that is 12x4 and he clearly shows me he wants more space. Your enclosure is good for now! No matter how large of an area I've provided, he finds the fence line and wants OUT.

You can see the tortoise in the enclosure. That size is good for that size tortoise. What are the dimensions of the enclosure? It looks like he has plenty of room, just not a lot of sight barriers. The substrate looks to be cypress mulch, though I could be wrong...

The dimensions are 4' by 8'

For the tort size I think your enclosures size can be great. Right now it's too plain.
I'd add lots of sight barriers (rocks, drift wood, dirt hills, plants) so he can't see his whole kingdom at once glance. The more he has to do (walk over, walk under, walk around, hide in, investigate) the more content he'll be.

Your right it is really plain I will add more to it soon

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
The enclosure size is wonderful; it's leaves room for walking and plenty of objects.

As Team Gomberg mentioned, I would add in some decor or "furniture." Right now, the enclosure is looking a bit bare. Try adding some plants to add some color and health or "realism" to the habitat. As bouaboua mentioned as well, I would be cautious about the water dish. You don't necessarily have to replace it or get rid of it, but monitor your little guy over the next few days and see if he has trouble accessing it (or climbing out of it).

I have seen beautiful indoor inclosures with live plants, rock piles, logs, basking spots, and so on. Be creative and take a glance at this section for inspiration.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/ideas-for-indoor-enclosures.65798/

You can also look at some outdoor enclosures for some decor ideas.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/ideas-for-outdoor-enclosures.65797/

I hope this helps. Thank you for providing your tortoise with enough space to be happy!

The enclosure size is wonderful; it's leaves room for walking and plenty of objects.

As Team Gomberg mentioned, I would add in some decor or "furniture." Right now, the enclosure is looking a bit bare. Try adding some plants to add some color and health or "realism" to the habitat. As bouaboua mentioned as well, I would be cautious about the water dish. You don't necessarily have to replace it or get rid of it, but monitor your little guy over the next few days and see if he has trouble accessing it (or climbing out of it).

I have seen beautiful indoor inclosures with live plants, rock piles, logs, basking spots, and so on. Be creative and take a glance at this section for inspiration.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/ideas-for-indoor-enclosures.65798/

You can also look at some outdoor enclosures for some decor ideas.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/ideas-for-outdoor-enclosures.65797/

I hope this helps. Thank you for providing your tortoise with enough space to be happy!

I was worried about the water too but I watched him and he can get in and out of it very well