Is this a big enough enclosure for a male russian tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The enclosure size is great, but I see three big problems:
1. That water bowl has got to go. Tortoises drown in those things. He might be fine for months and then one day you wil come home and find him upside down in it and dead. Swap it out with a $2 terra cotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate.
2. Get rid of the hay. It will mold and thats not good.
3. Don't use those clamps to hold your lamps. They will eventually fail and lead to one disaster or another.

I would add a humid hide too.

Nice job on the size though! Few people go big enough.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That reminds me of this YouTube video:

I've seen my Russians do this a few times, but they don't seem to be harmed. It still scares me though.
That poor tortoise has no option but to climb over the log. There's not even any space to go under it. Or around it. I think that's very sad and aggravating. Mike tortoise sometimes claims on his log but he has also purposely done a face plant off The end of it, it got up and did it again.

The enclosure size is great, but I see three big problems:
1. That water bowl has got to go. Tortoises drown in those things. He might be fine for months and then one day you wil come home and find him upside down in it and dead. Swap it out with a $2 terra cotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate.
2. Get rid of the hay. It will mold and thats not good.
3. Don't use those clamps to hold your lamps. They will eventually fail and lead to one disaster or another.

I would add a humid hide too.

Nice job on the size though! Few people go big enough.

What is a humid hide and where do I get one

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
A humid hide is literally just a place where your tortoise can hide and the conditions inside of it are more humid than in the rest of the enclosure.

Plastic bins, Tupperware etc make good humid hides because they can't mold.
You want it to have a top and 4 walls with only a door cut out. The doorway should only be big enough for your tort to pass through...not a huge entryway.
There should be no bottom of the hide. Just dirt. Damp, moist dirt. That's what will make this hide, "humid".
Hope that helps...