Is this big enough?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I will get @Tom here, he has or had many sulcatas, he would be able to tell you how long it would hold them. Can you give the sizes.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The size of the area. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Are you talking about the area that is fenced off with the brick walls or are you just talking the brick wall things, are they big enough to make an enclosure out of that will hold an adult sully?

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Hi, if I'm understanding correctly you want to have two sullies in each side ?

My suggestion it's Not enough room. Why? Because a lot of room to walk around. I only have one sulcata and according to what I have read here the bigger the better. As I was mentioning my sully is only 6 lbs and has a bigger enclosure than this for now, in a year or so it would have the whole yard.
Hopefully this helps

London my lovely Sulcata tortoise :0))

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
How big will be the Sulcata?? One on each side right? If it is a full grow Sulcata, I will say no.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That area would be great for smaller juveniles, but way too small for adults. And WAY WAY too small for a 28-30" male.

That would be a great place for any of the Testudo species. What part of the country is that in?

Alaskamike

South Florida
You know judging the size of our tort 'yard' is difficult. When we keep wild animals, we do our best to provide the maximum space and optimal environment possible. But I know no matter what we do, it will not be the same as the great outdoors. I've often seen environments in Zoos that were supposed to be natural, and yet were way too small. Makes it hard for me to even go to zoos.

We all try and provide enough space and interest for our tortoises. But I guarantee no matter how nice the environment there will be some who think it too small. And maybe it almost always is. Not everyone has acres, can fence off their entire yard, build solid walls 2' deep into the ground, construct barns and tunnel hides with temp control. When you can, its great.

Asking if your enclosed area is large enough will almost always get a "no" from many here. Of course, the larger a species gets or is, the more space the animal needs. If you have limited space, best to stay with the smaller species.
We do the best we can.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Asking if your enclosed area is large enough will almost always get a "no" from many here.

This is true. And I paused for a moment considering your statement. I can't recall one person ever posting a picture of a horse pasture or large backyard and asking, "Is this area large enough to house my tortoise?" THAT person would surely get a unanimous, "YES!"

Its always the people who are trying to stuff a tortoise into a tiny space that want to know if the enclosure is "big enough". No one has ever asked, "Is my enclosure too large?". If they did, I'll bet the answer would still be the same. Almost all would answer "no".

Not necessarily related to this OP, but philosophically related to your post Mike, there has always been a percentage of people that want to house certain animals in enclosures that are too small. Be it because of cost or convenience, or sometimes simple ignorance and inexperience. I've been working with this group since I started working in the pet trade in 1986. Since tortoises need even more space than most animals, this does come up here frequently. My wish for these people would be that if you don't, can't or won't house your tortoise in an adequately sized enclosure, whatever the reason, just don't get one. Get an animal that WILL fit in your allotted space, or just don't get an animal at all. I find it frustrating and infuriating when a poster asks if their small enclosure is adequate and then when they get the answer they already knew they were going to get they respond with something like, "Well that is all the space I have, so...". I find that sentiment despicable. The tortoise didn't ask to be in a person's care. If a person does not have the time, space, money or want to expend the effort to properly care for any animal of any species, then they simply should not have the animal.

What made me, shall we say, "raise an eyebrow" at you above post was your ending statement: "We do the best we can." If the best that can be done is suitable for a given animal's needs, then that statement is fine. However, it is my strong opinion that no one should get a pass for "doing the best they can", if their best is not good enough. Sadly, when it comes to caring for animals, some people's "best" is simply not good enough. I don't want people like that to feel okay about what they are doing (or NOT doing) because a well spoken, reputable person such as yourself, proposed the sentiment of, "Just do the best you can". I say, "Just do what your animal needs, or give it to someone who can and will."

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
This is true. And I paused for a moment considering your statement. I can't recall one person ever posting a picture of a horse pasture or large backyard and asking, "Is this area large enough to house my tortoise?" THAT person would surely get a unanimous, "YES!"

Its always the people who are trying to stuff a tortoise into a tiny space that want to know if the enclosure is "big enough". No one has ever asked, "Is my enclosure too large?". If they did, I'll bet the answer would still be the same. Almost all would answer "no".

Not necessarily related to this OP, but philosophically related to your post Mike, there has always been a percentage of people that want to house certain animals in enclosures that are too small. Be it because of cost or convenience, or sometimes simple ignorance and inexperience. I've been working with this group since I started working in the pet trade in 1986. Since tortoises need even more space than most animals, this does come up here frequently. My wish for these people would be that if you don't, can't or won't house your tortoise in an adequately sized enclosure, whatever the reason, just don't get one. Get an animal that WILL fit in your allotted space, or just don't get an animal at all. I find it frustrating and infuriating when a poster asks if their small enclosure is adequate and then when they get the answer they already knew they were going to get they respond with something like, "Well that is all the space I have, so...". I find that sentiment despicable. The tortoise didn't ask to be in a person's care. If a person does not have the time, space, money or want to expend the effort to properly care for any animal of any species, then they simply should not have the animal.

What made me, shall we say, "raise an eyebrow" at you above post was your ending statement: "We do the best we can." If the best that can be done is suitable for a given animal's needs, then that statement is fine. However, it is my strong opinion that no one should get a pass for "doing the best they can", if their best is not good enough. Sadly, when it comes to caring for animals, some people's "best" is simply not good enough. I don't want people like that to feel okay about what they are doing (or NOT doing) because a well spoken, reputable person such as yourself, proposed the sentiment of, "Just do the best you can". I say, "Just do what your animal needs, or give it to someone who can and will."
Inspiring post. This made me rethink the upcoming size of my Greek tortoise's enclosure. Thanks a lot! :)

Alaskamike

South Florida
Good reply Tom. I do think that the sad thing for tortoises has been that because they are slow, and do rest allot during the heat of the day, it has lulled people into the belief that they don't need space to roam. How many have been and continue to be raised in aquariums for life? We who care for them know better. Not only do they need space to roam, but I also believe they need interest in their environment, not just a dirt floor. These are grazing animals and often walk miles in their environments looking for food. They bask on rocks, hide in tall grass, wallow in mud holes, climb hills.

I do agree that more is always better, and too small is too small no matter how honorable one's intentions. When I say ' we do the best we can', I did not mean to imply that just anything is okay. Only that probably every one of us would like to have more space, and an even better environment for our torts. We cannot totally replace the open spaces of nature, unless we are on a nature preserve and they have the miles to roam they would in the wild. But we CAN provide a quality environment - because we've done the research , and we know what that is.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
That looks very small. Adult sulcatas are very big animals, and need A LOT of room to roam. They need water too... They also need a lot of grazing space, a large sun AND shade area, and a big house... I wouldn't house one adult sulcata in just one side... Listen to Tom, he knows :D