Is there a way to disinfect substrate to be reused?

Kevboosh

Location (City and/or State)
California
Just wondering. I'm going to stock up for when the time comes to replace it but maybe, when I do, I can treat the old stuff with something and spread it out in the sun for a long time? Would rubbing alcohol completely evaporate from the coco coir and wood chips if given enough time? Would an unpleasant smell remain for my tortoise even if it did? It seems like it could be something I could add into my morning gardening routine. I could just use it for potting soil or compost or something if there isn't a risk free way to do this. :) Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just boil or bake it. Baking 200-250 for about 3 hours.
Otherwise you can boil it.
I would not use anything on it
It also doesn't have to be replaced for a long time if you spot clean daily and mix it around, kinda churning it so bottom is on top, vice versa

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I think coir goes but bark can be used on the garden beds when done. My bark last 4 to 6 months as I spot clean and also shuffle the bark around the enclosure. Any bark coveted urates etc goes to the bin. For the price of a bag I think it is good to remove and refresh as wee builds up etc... avoid any alcohol as tortoise have sensitive smell so needs to be natural.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think coir goes but bark can be used on the garden beds when done. My bark last 4 to 6 months as I spot clean and also shuffle the bark around the enclosure. Any bark coveted urates etc goes to the bin. For the price of a bag I think it is good to remove and refresh as wee builds up etc... avoid any alcohol as tortoise have sensitive smell so needs to be natural.
Of course you can replace as often as you want, but it's not needed. If spot cleaning and mixing is done often, it can last a year possibly longer. I have never replaced before a year.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Of course you can replace as often as you want, but it's not needed. If spot cleaning and mixing is done often, it can last a year possibly longer. I have never replaced before a year.
That is also my experience with it.