How to properly clean/disinfect a closed chamber?

AmberD

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
For those of you who have closed chambers, what is the best way you have found to clean/disinfect them? Looking for ideas as I currently have my little red foot in an old rabbit cage that I made a closed top for so I just take the top off to dump and clean the bottom, but I'm looking at moving him into a bigger closed chamber idea but am worried about not being able to clean/rinse it so easily. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, this only needs to be done if it is obviously dirty or compromised in some way. I spot clean daily, and pick out handfuls of food/substrate around the feeding tile daily. Then I stir up the substrate with my hand to fluff it up (it gets compacted from them walking on it). At the end of winter, when the weather is good, they go outside and at that time I toss all the old substrate, clean the container with bleach water and store it until the following winter period.

AmberD

Ontario
In my opinion, this only needs to be done if it is obviously dirty or compromised in some way. I spot clean daily, and pick out handfuls of food/substrate around the feeding tile daily. Then I stir up the substrate with my hand to fluff it up (it gets compacted from them walking on it). At the end of winter, when the weather is good, they go outside and at that time I toss all the old substrate, clean the container with bleach water and store it until the following winter period.
Thanks Yvonne, I must be a neat freak as I dump about once a month and spot clean between that. With the bleach solution do you just wipe down and leave it to dry or do you rinse after? It would be hard to rinse/dump a large closed chamber is why I ask :) thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If it's too big to sit out in the sun, then I would think just letting it open to the air for a day or so would be good enough.