A Better Way to Sex Tortoises

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I know I'm resurrecting a post from the depths of hell but I wonder if any lead-way has been made in this field. DNA testing seems like it would be the ideal method. I just sorta assume that this is the type of thing the right herpetogist could do.

Are there really no labs that would do this for a fee? Maybe even a local university?
Omg, I don't even remember that at all. Only way I know of sexing a young tort is surgically.

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
I know I'm resurrecting a post from the depths of hell but I wonder if any lead-way has been made in this field. DNA testing seems like it would be the ideal method. I just sorta assume that this is the type of thing the right herpetogist could do.

Are there really no labs that would do this for a fee? Maybe even a local university?
I'm no geneticist, but having no determining sex chromosome I'm not sure how a DNA test would do it. I have read something about hormone testing, which makes more sense to me, but from what I understand it too was unreliable. I will probably have my radiata scoped in a year or two, want to make sure I have at least a pair.

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
I'm no geneticist, but having no determining sex chromosome I'm not sure how a DNA test would do it. I have read something about hormone testing, which makes more sense to me, but from what I understand it too was unreliable. I will probably have my radiata scoped in a year or two, want to make sure I have at least a pair.
Where is a mad geneticist with a dream when you need one?? ?

Southern California
It would be cool if someone developed a DNA test that you could send off to get tested. Of coarse it would have to be relatively cheap.... But hey we can dream.
I would think this is possible. You can have this done for birds, almost anything from chickens to parrots. People sell sexed fancy chickens in CA. DNA testing from one of the bird places was only like $20. You mail in the sample so it’s a very simple process.

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
I would think this is possible. You can have this done for birds, almost anything from chickens to parrots. People sell sexed fancy chickens in CA. DNA testing from one of the bird places was only like $20. You mail in the sample so it’s a very simple process.
Maybe that's our first cue. Now to find a bird sexer! Wait... That didn't come out right

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This must be new? I only have ever heard of surgically sexing birds, back from my days with birds.

Southern California
This must be new? I only have ever heard of surgically sexing birds, back from my days with birds.
I went through my email. I had it done on a parrot I was considering for purchase in August of 2017. Here is the link for the place that the breeder used. The order form still states $20, and they can use a blood sample which they describe how to obtain, feathers, or even the egg shell. The front page bio says the techonology was developed in the 90s.

I'm no scientist though, so if tortoises lack the sex chromosomes like a PP mentioned, that could be what prevents this from being used for tortoises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I went through my email. I had it done on a parrot I was considering for purchase in August of 2017. Here is the link for the place that the breeder used. The order form still states $20, and they can use a blood sample which they describe how to obtain, feathers, or even the egg shell. The front page bio says the techonology was developed in the 90s.

I'm no scientist though, so if tortoises lack the sex chromosomes like a PP mentioned, that could be what prevents this from being used for tortoises.
Yea, way past my bird days of the 80's lol

MarginatedMooney

Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina USA

Yes, that's correct. Tortoise sex determination is dependent on temperature, not genetics. So they don't have a sex chromosome and you can't do a DNA test.

I stumbled across this research... it may be possible to do a blood test that's looking for a specific hormone expressed by males. This was in turtles though so I don't know if it would work in tortoises too. ?

Last edited:
Southern California
Yes, that's correct. Tortoise sex determination is dependent on temperature, not genetics. So they don't have a sex chromosome and you can't do a DNA test.
There has been some research done on this and it seems that using a cystoscopic/endoscopic procedure to look inside the cloaca to determine sex is an effective and noninvasive procedure.

Also, it may be possible to do a blood test that's looking for a specific hormone expressed by males. This was in turtles though so I don't know if it would work in tortoises too. ?
That is fascinating!

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL

I stumbled across this research... it may be possible to do a blood test that's looking for a specific hormone expressed by males. This was in turtles though so I don't know if it would work in tortoises too. ?
Awesome read! Seems we are getting closer folks!