is she crying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeskamarie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
I'm so glad I found this site! Anyway, I read that oftentimes, a Speke's hingeback's eyes will water when they eat. Especially the females.

That's totally the case with my tortoise, Radley Noelle. She "cries" when she eats, but also when she's just hanging out in the little cave in her terrarium.

Is this normal? Is she upset, or is she just wetting her eyes? (Her humidity level is fine and we soak her at least once a day!)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I hadn't heard that about Speke's hingebacks before. Usually watering eyes are a sign of an infection or something stuck in the eye that the tortoise is trying to remove with the excess water production.
What are your humidity levels?

Danny

jeskamarie

5 Year Member
SoCal
egyptiandan said:
I hadn't heard that about Speke's hingebacks before. Usually watering eyes are a sign of an infection or something stuck in the eye that the tortoise is trying to remove with the excess water production.
What are your humidity levels?

Danny

I know it sounds weird. I've been searching all over the internet for answers! She's always done this and two visits to the vet conformed that her eyes were healthy. We keep her terrarium at about 90 -100 degrees, with humidity levels at around 50-60 percent. On drier days we soak her twice a day (a.m. adn p.m.) and give her juicier fruits/veggies.

What do you think? Should I seek a second opinion?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
No need for a second opinion :) I think I've found her problem. She's much to hot. You need a hot spot of about 90 to 95F, the warm end should be 82 to 86F and the cool end 70 to 75F. I think this will help her eyes from constantly running.

Danny

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Where did you hear the crying while eating?

jeskamarie

5 Year Member
SoCal
egyptiandan said:
No need for a second opinion :) I think I've found her problem. She's much to hot. You need a hot spot of about 90 to 95F, the warm end should be 82 to 86F and the cool end 70 to 75F. I think this will help her eyes from constantly running.

Danny

Hmmmmm. OK, we'll see what we can do to keep the temperature down. At night we keep things lower for sure, but I can move the day-time lamp over a bit. Is this because they can't sweat?

To answer your question, I honestly can't tell you what that site was! Sorry! I had been on the Internet for hours, clicking from link to link, so I was DEEP into research when I found that info. But I do know I saw it in several places. If I come across it again I will let you know!

Thanks so much for your help.

jeskamarie

5 Year Member
SoCal
Jacqui said:
Where did you hear the crying while eating?

Oh gosh, I can't remember now. If I come across the sites again, I'll let you know. I have been doing a lot of research!

Status
Not open for further replies.