my speke's needs a companion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeskamarie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Hi there! I have a little Speke's hingeback - probably only 2 years old. My fiance and I bought her at a reptile store in San Diego, CA. She's quite shy, sensitive to noise, and has very picky eating habits. When we got her she was also nervous - pacing around her terrarium constantly, and making an absolute mess of her feces. But we bathed her carefully, cleaned her terrarium often and provided her with fresh fruit, veggies, pellets and warm water twice a day. She still got an infection - likely from the mess she was making! But she's been treated and she's much more calm now . . . jumpy, but calm.

Anyway, we absolutely love her, and we really want to get her a companion; another tortoise that she won't be afraid of, won't fight and that she will enjoy living with. She is a VERY complicated breed!

Does anyone know? Does she need to be with another Spekes? Can she live with a different type of tortoise? Does it have to be female too? I would love to rescue one . . .

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I know little about the Specks Species but IMHO I would not mix species. There are too many threats from parasites and pathogens when you cross species let alone trying to get habitats correct.
You would not want to put a CB with a WC either same problems with pathogens and parasites and there is never a guarantee that she won’t be afraid of or won’t fight or be beat up by another tort. Most torts do fine alone.

That being said, if you do decide to get her a companion, I would try and get one that is the same size and species.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The other thing to think about (and you seem to have noticed this) is Hingebacks are very shy and stress very easily. Another tortoise and it would have to be another Speke's hingeback would only stress her out again and cause trouble for both of them. All tortoises, especially hingebacks, do just fine alone. :D
How are you keeping her? It looks like she is on newspaper. What was her infection?

Danny

jeskamarie

5 Year Member
SoCal
egyptiandan said:
The other thing to think about (and you seem to have noticed this) is Hingebacks are very shy and stress very easily. Another tortoise and it would have to be another Speke's hingeback would only stress her out again and cause trouble for both of them. All tortoises, especially hingebacks, do just fine alone. :D
How are you keeping her? It looks like she is on newspaper. What was her infection?

Danny

Thanks Danny. Good to know. It's our first tortoise, so we're still learning about what they need and want. She's so cute and I know we spoil her but I also want to make sure we're creating the best home envionment possible.

In the picture, yes she is on newspaper, but in her terrarium we have a green moss-like mat. She seemed to like that much better than dirt, bark or newspaper. We bring her out every once in a while, when it's quiet and our house is super-clean. When she's out, she eats a lot more, and roams around for hours. When she finally settles in a dark place, we usually put her back in her terrarium, and turn on her red night light.

Her infection was a mild parasite (worms). It was a month or so after we got her. The vet gave her two doses of antibiotics and she's been good ever since!

Crazy1 said:
I know little about the Specks Species but IMHO I would not mix species. There are too many threats from parasites and pathogens when you cross species let alone trying to get habitats correct.
You would not want to put a CB with a WC either same problems with pathogens and parasites and there is never a guarantee that she won’t be afraid of or won’t fight or be beat up by another tort. Most torts do fine alone.

That being said, if you do decide to get her a companion, I would try and get one that is the same size and species.

OK, thanks for the info! I figured that might be case. As long as she doesn't mind being alone, we'll just stick with that. Then, if we decide to adopt in the future, we'll see if we can get a rescue that is OK living outdoors.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You might find yourself interested in trying your hand at breeding these lovely animals, so don't rule out not getting another Speks or two in the future.

jeskamarie

5 Year Member
SoCal
Jacqui said:
You might find yourself interested in trying your hand at breeding these lovely animals, so don't rule out not getting another Speks or two in the future.

Good point. When we're ready for that, I'll get in touch with our local Tortoise Society chapter, and see if they have any Speke's rescues. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.