sorry, more bad news

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeskamarie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
My Speke's is very sick. Took her to the exotic pet vet two weeks (again) because she was twitching her head up-and-down and side-to-side, like she was struggling to breathe. She literally rubbed her skin raw on the top and sides of her neck. They took a stool sample and did a throat culture. $230 later, turns out she has pneumonia - or something like that. Her body is harboring two bacterial infections: pseudomonas and miccrococcus. She also tested positive for corynebacterium. Apparently, she's been sick for a while. The presence of one bacteria weakened her immune system, so she began harboring another, etc...

I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to detect infections like these, before they flare up. Aside from her teary eyes (which she's had since we got her), we had no idea she was so sick. There was no noticeable discharge from her eyes or nose. We adjusted the heat from cooler to warmer, based on suggestions from experts. We added a heating pad to the bottom of the terrarium where she sleeps. We gave her warm fresh water twice a day, and fresh food every morning. She's always been shy, so we assumed burying herself in the corner of her terrarium for days at a time was normal for her species.

Now, we have her on two antibiotics; shots given through her armpits every three days. She's getting better, but very slowly, and she still makes a strange wheezing sound when she breathes.

Any other suggestions? Is there anything we can do to heal the scratches on her neck (which seem to bleed again, every time she eats)?

Sorry for the long inquiry. I just want her to be healthy! Any expert knowledge you could provide would be helpful. Thanks!

Attachments

• radleyatthedrsoffice.jpg
    radleyatthedrsoffice.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 61

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
Although I cannot give you any help, I feel for you and your situation.

Sincerely,

Evan

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thank goodness you took her to the vet. They sound like they know what there doing and that's priceless when it comes to the pet you love. She's beautiful. Candy :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You can use a triple antibiotic ointment on the sores of her neck.
Lower respiratory infections are hard to recognise as they show few symptoms. The strange wheezing sound is one and so is a change in behavior, like sleeping more, not eating as much, not as active. You just have to take swift action when you see these symptoms as lower respiratory infections are worse than upper respiratory infections.
While giving her the antibiotics you need to keep her at 86F (24/7) to boost her immune system to help fight the infection along with the antibiotics.

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Jessica, sorry to hear Radley is ill. But also so glad you have a good vet to help care for her. My thoughts are with you and Radley for a swift recovery.

jeskamarie

5 Year Member
SoCal
BigBiscuit said:
Although I cannot give you any help, I feel for you and your situation.

Sincerely,

Evan

Thanks Evan, I appreciate it!

Candy said:
Thank goodness you took her to the vet. They sound like they know what there doing and that's priceless when it comes to the pet you love. She's beautiful. Candy :)

Thank you. :) Yes, It's nice being in San Diego, where we have so many experts closeby!

Crazy1 said:
Jessica, sorry to hear Radley is ill. But also so glad you have a good vet to help care for her. My thoughts are with you and Radley for a swift recovery.

Thank you Robyn. I appreciate the kind thoughts. Yes, let's hope for a speedy recovery!

egyptiandan said:
You can use a triple antibiotic ointment on the sores of her neck.
Lower respiratory infections are hard to recognise as they show few symptoms. The strange wheezing sound is one and so is a change in behavior, like sleeping more, not eating as much, not as active. You just have to take swift action when you see these symptoms as lower respiratory infections are worse than upper respiratory infections.
While giving her the antibiotics you need to keep her at 86F (24/7) to boost her immune system to help fight the infection along with the antibiotics.

Danny

Oh, that's good news. I have some of that ointment at home, and I'll probably cut down a bandaid to fit. She's not going to like it, but it will be good for her! :)

The temp is between 86 and 90 degrees in her favorite corner (thanks to the addition of the undertank heater), and warmer directly under the heat lamp, so I'm glad we've got that right.

So the bacteria she has are lower-respiratory problems? I had no idea! How can you tell?

tortoisenerd said:
Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Thanks Kate! Yes, let's hope for a speedy recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.