Is it bad to shop at and take advice from Petco?

Buddybenj

If so, what stuff should I not buy from Petco and what advice should I ignore?

Also, they gave me a Russian tortoise care sheet. Is there any information which is incorrect or missing from the care sheet?

Care sheet side 1:tmp_16621-IMG_20160604_121953934972814.jpg
Care sheet side 2:tmp_16621-IMG_20160604_1220031607869232.jpg

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Nothing wrong with buying your supplies there. Supplies are supplies.

The care sheet isn't great. Some info is fine, some info is questionable, other info is wrong (such as suggesting the rabbit pellet substrate)...

So...I wouldn't use it as my care guide.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
I agree with Rue.
I would read the care sheets on the forum before following Petco's.
Also if you're going to buy a tortoise, I wouldn't buy from petco. Try to find a breeder or even someone who has one for adoption. There are some Russian breeders on the forum I think. Check the breeders section.

Reactions: Rue

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Is it fine to buy one of their water dishes? I have heard they can be flipping hazards. They look something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A1BDP0/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Also, what care guide would you recommend?
No. Use a terracotta plant saucer.

The TFO guides are written by species experts working hard to correct the mixed accuracy of information from many pet stores and, sadly, some breeders and vets.

Take these as accurate

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Care Guide
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

And if you have a hatchling or baby
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Buddybenj

I agree with Rue.
I would read the care sheets on the forum before following Petco's.
Thanks for this advice!
Also if you're going to buy a tortoise, I wouldn't buy from petco. Try to find a breeder or even someone who has one for adoption. There are some Russian breeders on the forum I think. Check the breeders section.
Why is that?

Rue

Canada
Because it increases your odds of getting a healthy pet to begin with.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I got my Russian tortoise from Pet's Smart, and honestly, she wasn't in the greatest condition. Her cage was too small and they were feeding her the wrong food. However, she was just the right age/size (about four/five inches) and she considered her new glass enclosure to be Heaven!
I would highly recommend not getting a baby!!! Yes, they are adorable, but it is so much easier for them to get sick. I once got a baby turtle and it died within a week. My aged tortoise, however, has lasted a year and has many more coming!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If you buy from a store in the USA you will get a wild caught mature or juvenile animal. (In Europe you cannot buy wild caught)

You will have no idea how it was treated. It will almost certainly have a load of parasites in its gut and need worming.

If you buy a from a good breeder, you will get a healthy, parasite-free animal that has been started well.

(Correct link for babies http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/)

Tort maturity is by size, not age. Under 4 inches is sub-adult. It will be a baby for the first year or so.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I actually found out (before buying my tort) that my particular Pet'Smart got their tortoises from a well known breeder as well. I would recommend asking to find out who the breeder is, and then google him. Either way, wherever you get your tort, make sure to check the eyes and the bottom of the shell for squishiness. And make sure it doesn't bite! ;)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They claim that their tortoises are captive bred and don't have worms.
I am British. I cannot comment from experience.

However, generally the shell condition of US pet store torts we see on here rarely seems to look like that of those raised in captivity - there's wear and tear that you just don't see in captive bred.

The torts sold are generally too big as well. A breeder cannot afford to hold onto a tort for several years to get it to that size. They will sell smaller, younger animals.

Rue

Canada
For what it's worth...you'll likely pay less for the pet directly from a breeder.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
JoesMum, you may have a point. They told me my tortoise was captive bred, but her shell has a nick in the back. She was a decent size. However... she shows no signs of having worms. Um... how do you know if your tortoise has worms??

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
JoesMum, you may have a point. They told me my tortoise was captive bred, but her shell has a nick in the back. She was a decent size. However... she shows no signs of having worms. Um... how do you know if your tortoise has worms??
Keep an eye on the poop. You become obsessed with poop - it's part of tortoise keeping :D

Failure to gain weight is another indicator.

There's a general lack of shininess about wild caught torts. Naturally sanded by living out in the field.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Ha! :) Okay. She's gaining weight (just weighed her today, she gained an ounce and is looking fat and healthy) and her poop is greenish brown. I assumed that was normal because that's all she ever poops. It's normal... right? :) Sorry, BuddyBenj, I got a little side tracked! :)

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Ooohhh, okay. Sweet! Now I don't have to gawk at her poop. :) Thanks! Oh, and I wanted to tell BuddyBenj that Russians are known to be a bit moody. My girl gets grumpy sometimes, but I've trained her to "get over herself". I've heard rumors that Red Foot tortoises are the most friendly, but I've never owned one, so I don't know!