yay14

Location (City and/or State)
stockholm
Hi everyone i was wondering if my one year old hermann tortoise is getting enough UV. I now this is hard to say without a UV meter but i am gonna go ahead and aks anyway.

He has a 50 watt solar raptor spot Metal halide/ H.I.D lamp that is suspended 22 inches above the enclosure recomended height was 20 inches from whare i bought it and other sites. But i have also seen sites which recomeds keeping it at 12 inches which i think is weird becuse thats the recomended height for 35 watts HID spot lamps.
So i was wondering do you guys think hes getting enough uv from this lamp at this height and is this height okay?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Pictures would help to show the layout of your enclosure.
(I can't enlarge the pic in the link you gave in the enclosures thread so not sure if others have the same problem)
Have you got your thermometer yet?

Last edited:

yay14

stockholm
Pictures would help to show the layout of your enclosure.
(I can't enlarge the pic in the link you gave in the enclosures thread so not sure if others have the same problem)ll (2).jpg
Have you got your thermometer yet?
No not yes but heres a picture

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You already answered your own question. There is no way to know without putting a meter under your bulb in your enclosure.

As you might have noticed, almost no one here has any practical experience using HID bulbs over tortoises. We can't even give you an educated guess.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You already answered your own question. There is no way to know without putting a meter under your bulb in your enclosure.

As you might have noticed, almost no one here has any practical experience using HID bulbs over tortoises. We can't even give you an educated guess.
Hey Tom, what is HID?

yay14

stockholm

Ok he has not shown any signs of not getting enough UV so i am going to go of that

yay14

stockholm
Hey Tom, what is HID?

But do you know anyone on this forum that do have some expirince with HID/metal halide?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
But do you know anyone on this forum that do have some expirince with HID/metal halide?
@turtlesteve answered on your other thread. Those bulbs are not commonly used or commonly available over here, so not many people have experience with them.

If you use some Mazuri as a food supplement a couple times per week, and use a calcium supplement with D3, you'll never have MBD problems.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey Tom, what is HID?
Stands for "High Intensity Discharge" bulbs. They were sold here under the name of "Solar Raptor" for a while, but I don't think they are still sold here. I could be wrong. Haven't really looked because I have no need for it.

Supposedly they make high levels of UV, but don't run as hot as MVBs. I have no experience with them, so can't really say whether or not they are good or bad.

yay14

stockholm
@turtlesteve answered on your other thread. Those bulbs are not commonly used or commonly available over here, so not many people have experience with them.

If you use some Mazuri as a food supplement a couple times per week, and use a calcium supplement with D3, you'll never have MBD problems.
i give him nutrobal once a week which conatins d3 and regular old calcium once a week but i will start using Mazuri :)

yay14

stockholm
Hey everybody I have a one year old hermann tortoise. When i first got it when it was about 5 months old I was not vey educated so his lighting was not very good placed and he was not really soaked for the first 3-4 months or so. But around 4 months in to keeping the tort I stepped it up and fixed everything that needed fixing. 2 months after i fixed my husbandry i took the tort to the vet and the vet said he was perfectly healthy, This was in november 2020
So everything should be good now with my tortoise even though he had a bit of a rocky start?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If his shell is hard, eyes bright and alert and appetite is good chances are he' s fin e.

yay14

stockholm
If his shell is hard, eyes bright and alert and appetite is good chances are he' s fin e.
Hes shell still has some slight give to it but i heard it can take years for it to harden up but everything else seems good.

yay14

stockholm
It was also to dry in his enclosure until quite recently when i went ahead and covered the enclosure