Lamp to high

yay14

Location (City and/or State)
stockholm
Hi everyone i have a 1 year old hermann tortoise and i am scared i have had his HID lamp to high up, He has a solar raptor 50 watt spot lamp that i was keeping at 22 inches the last couple of months i now realised it might be to high up so i lowered it to 18 inches an is now waiting to see what the temps are going to be. In some places it said it should be put 20 inches above the enclosure and in other places it said 12 so i am confused.

So my question is do you think my tortoise has gotten sick from the lamp being to high up?

yay14

stockholm
And in that i mean like maybe he did not get enough UV or heat

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Do you have a thermometer at tort level? if not you need to get one so that you aren't guessing - you can't really go by height alone because it depends on the bulbs too.

A digital temp gun is handy for spot checking temps at tort level and around the enclosure but most of us also use a digital thermometer with hygrometer with a probe safely positoned in the enclosure.

I'll leave the UVB question to others who know more about the different lamps, but pics of your enclosure would help members give accurate advice.

Last edited:

yay14

stockholm
Do you have a thermometer at tort level? if not you need to get one so that you aren't guessing - you can't really go by height alone because it depends on the bulbs too.

A digital temp gun is handy for spot checking temps at tort level and around the enclosure but most of us also use a digital thermometer with hydrometer with a probe safely positoned in the enclosure.

I'll leave the UVB question to others who know more about the different lamps, but pics of your enclosure would help members give accurate advice.
OK i will get a thermometer and heres a photo of how it looked like before i lowered the lamp. https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/enclosure-cover.188900/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone i have a 1 year old hermann tortoise and i am scared i have had his HID lamp to high up, He has a solar raptor 50 watt spot lamp that i was keeping at 22 inches the last couple of months i now realised it might be to high up so i lowered it to 18 inches an is now waiting to see what the temps are going to be. In some places it said it should be put 20 inches above the enclosure and in other places it said 12 so i am confused.

So my question is do you think my tortoise has gotten sick from the lamp being to high up?
Only a thermometer and a UV meter can answer this question.

yay14

stockholm
Only a thermometer and a UV meter can answer this question.
Yes i will get an thermometer but UV meters are out of my budget and since the lamp has pretty much been the same height as the site whare i bought it recomended or about 2 inches higher. So i don't think the UV thing was a problem. The tort also shows no signs of MBD. So really the only thing i thought could be a problem is the tempature thing that it might been to cold. I now put the lamp at the old height at 22 inches.

Last edited: