Is a 7.5' x 3' enclosure big enough for a 9.5 month old 5.25" sulcata?

bsstovel

Location (City and/or State)
Tustin, CA
I'm designing a new table and want to make sure there is enough space. The overall dimensions will be 7.5' x 3' and I plan on building a small upper deck that will add a few more square footage and I want to make sure it's enough space for the little guy to roam around. Is there a ratio of size of tortoise to size of habitat? Obviously, larger the better, but what is a good size of space?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm designing a new table and want to make sure there is enough space. The overall dimensions will be 7.5' x 3' and I plan on building a small upper deck that will add a few more square footage and I want to make sure it's enough space for the little guy to roam around. Is there a ratio of size of tortoise to size of habitat? Obviously, larger the better, but what is a good size of space?
He's going to outgrow that in the time it takes to build it! :)

Seriously though, that is large enough for a tortoise that size, but it won't last long. As long as you also have a large outdoor enclosure that you put the tortoise in during favorable weather, the indoor one should be fine. By the time he reaches 8-9 inches, you should move him outside full time with an insulated, heated night box.

Also, tortoise tables aren't suitable for sulcatas. You can't maintain the correct temperatures and humidity in an open topped table. Build a large closed chamber instead.

bsstovel

Tustin, CA
He's going to outgrow that in the time it takes to build it! :)

Seriously though, that is large enough for a tortoise that size, but it won't last long. As long as you also have a large outdoor enclosure that you put the tortoise in during favorable weather, the indoor one should be fine. By the time he reaches 8-9 inches, you should move him outside full time with an insulated, heated night box.

Also, tortoise tables aren't suitable for sulcatas. You can't maintain the correct temperatures and humidity in an open topped table. Build a large closed chamber instead.
Oh boy don't I know it! This little guy isn't going to be little for much longer, but I just want to make sure his indoor habitat is comfortable and not claustrophobic. I'm actually going to make an "L" design which will add another 14 sq. Ft.