Enough room for a hatchling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
Is approx 8 square feet - 8.5 square feet large enough for 2 redfoot hatchlings? I am thinking of getting some and so I am planning out their cage and was wondering if that was large enough for 2 of them? and if so how long? just a year or 2 or would it be fine for 3-4 years? Would this size be better for just one?

The cage in question would be about 95 inches x 13 inches

I have also heard that Redfoot tortoises are fairly social, is it better to have 2 together? or should they really be kept alone like my russians?

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
jjsull33 said:
Is approx 8 square feet - 8.5 square feet large enough for 2 redfoot hatchlings? I am thinking of getting some and so I am planning out their cage and was wondering if that was large enough for 2 of them? and if so how long? just a year or 2 or would it be fine for 3-4 years? Would this size be better for just one?

The cage in question would be about 95 inches x 13 inches

I have also heard that Redfoot tortoises are fairly social, is it better to have 2 together? or should they really be kept alone like my russians?

That would be fine for 2 and 2 do very well together. One thing to keep in mind is how you are going to keep that whole space heated 95 inches is pretty long area. you would need to keep the whole area fairly warm and humid

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I was planning on setting it up for a few months ahead of time, so that I can make sure everything is perfect and set up extra lights/foggers where necessary. Plus then I will be able to let a lot of plants grow nice and big as well.

I have heard of people putting hermit crabs into their enclosures, is this ok to do with hatchlings? or would it be better to wait until they are older and a fair amount bigger than the crabs?

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
jjsull33 said:
I was planning on setting it up for a few months ahead of time, so that I can make sure everything is perfect and set up extra lights/foggers where necessary. Plus then I will be able to let a lot of plants grow nice and big as well.

I have heard of people putting hermit crabs into their enclosures, is this ok to do with hatchlings? or would it be better to wait until they are older and a fair amount bigger than the crabs?

Setting it up a couple months in advance would be the smart thing to do.
I dont have any experience with hermit crabs but I have heard on this forum that they might pinch the torts. Sounds like you are thinking everything through pretty well

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Thank you for he quick responses, I am just starting to plan it now, and will probably be starting to build it as the summer begins so I can get them for the end of the summer or something along those lines.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
jjsull33 said:
How long will a cage this size last for 2 of them? Is it big enough for 2 or 3 years?

Ya it will be, thats a prety good size. You could even start off with a small cage if you want

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
bigred said:
jjsull33 said:
How long will a cage this size last for 2 of them? Is it big enough for 2 or 3 years?

Ya it will be, thats a prety good size. You could even start off with a small cage if you want

Would a 50 Gal tote container be large enough for 2 of them? or is that too small?

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
jjsull33 said:
bigred said:
jjsull33 said:

Would a 50 Gal tote container be large enough for 2 of them? or is that too small?

what are the dimensions, do you know.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
bigred said:
jjsull33 said:
bigred said:
jjsull33 said:

42 in x 22 in, which I believe is roughly 6 square feet, correct me if I am wrong.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
jjsull33 said:
bigred said:
jjsull33 said:
bigred said:
jjsull33 said:

42 in x 22 in, which I believe is roughly 6 square feet, correct me if I am wrong.

I personally would probably start off with the smaller one because the torts are small and it will be easier to heat. Then in a couple years work up to the bigger one. When redfoots are small they come out to eat and walk around a bit then go hide. I have 9 hatchlings and this is the routine for them. Its really up to you, alot of people try to give as much room as possible but when they are this small,,,,, smaller is ok for hatchlings:D

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
bigred said:
jjsull33 said:
bigred said:
jjsull33 said:
bigred said:

I personally would probably start off with the smaller one because the torts are small and it will be easier to heat. Then in a couple years work up to the bigger one. When redfoots are small they come out to eat and walk around a bit then go hide. I have 9 hatchlings and this is the routine for them. Its really up to you, alot of people try to give as much room as possible but when they are this small,,,,, smaller is ok for hatchlings:D

That is good to know, I will probably give them a whole 50 gal, so I have a bit longer before I have to build a bigger one, but a 50 gal will be a lot easier to heat than the 95" construct I was going to make lol

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
antonio_cormier said:
would a 3ft x 1.5ft be too small for a baby red foot?
I would say, it would last(and I mean last, it's not ideal) 1-2 years max depending on the size and growth rate of your red foot.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
FLINTUS said:
antonio_cormier said:
would a 3ft x 1.5ft be too small for a baby red foot?
I would say, it would last(and I mean last, it's not ideal) 1-2 years max depending on the size and growth rate of your red foot.

Ya I think your right

Status
Not open for further replies.