insurance lunacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pueblo West
We are in the process of buying a house and my husband has been getting home insurance quotes, a insurance company today called him today and said we cannot be insured because we have tortoises!! they said they are being catorogized in the same catorgary as pitbulls and other dangerous, violent animals ROFL have you ever heard anything so ridculous in your whole life!!!!
better watch out cause tortoises around the world near you are coming to get you
oh and my hubby told them to stick their insurance where the sun dont shine!

Vickie

5 Year Member
OMG! Seriously! LMFAO! Obviously they have NEVER been around tortoises or most turtles. One turtle I can see would even fit in this category would be the snappers we find all over the place in the surrounding country areas in ditches etc. However, a tortoise?!?!? Thank you I needed a good laugh. :p

zman7590

5 Year Member
lol they could possible gather together and squish people?!?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Yes the "reptile Mag" ran a article about a year a go that ins. Co. Can cancel home owners ins. Over turtles and tortoises.

brandhllg

5 Year Member
Maumelle Arkansas
Wow last time I remember an aggressive turtle was from when I was a kid.. But those guys enjoyed wearing bandanas and were mutant and still I think they only rated PG.

I'm going to have to read my insurance policy lol.

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Scotland
Tortoises in my opinion are one of the least dangerous animals I know.. It's clear that the insurance people aren't the smartest bunch

1 dwarf hamster
2 Russian torts
5 freshwater fish

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know they said "dangerous and violent," but I'm guessing they're more concerned with theft and having to reimburse you for theft.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I was thinking it was a salmonella issue...which is still ridiculous.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I was thinking salmonella, bites and squashing. Think about small unsupervised children putting these animals into their mouths. A tortoise or turtle which thought perhaps those little fingers were worms. Somebody mentioned snappers, but even something like a small musk/mud turtle has a strong bite and tend to hang on. How many folks in here have commented on how a large sulcata can really squeeze in those fingers when they pull down into their shells? Of a large sulcata ramming a small child? While we all may think it is humerus, there are dangers out there from turtles and tortoises. I also think as Yvonne mentioned, that they may be using the dangerous bit to also cover against having to pay for stolen tortoises.

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
It's a non domesticated "wild" animal. I can see their point, people here might be responsible but like any pets I am sure there are plenty of owners who aren't and never really bothered to socialize their pets. Between the digging damage costs and the ramming and biting of some breeds it isn't surprising they all get lumped together. Kind of like pit bulls, they can be some of the sweetest dogs but a group of idiots ruined the breed and similar breeds for everyone.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Wasn't it Maggie's Bob who caused damage and Maggie had insurance pay for repairs? The insurance company paid, but then they turned around and said Bob could no longer get coverage with them?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would like to know their justification for equating a tortoise with a pit bull. Makes no sense on the surface...

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
you would think that they would at least ask what you have not just do a blanket coverage ............... but anyhow this is what my hubby sent to the agent *evil smirk*
300226l_zps204d685f.jpg

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Unfortunately they lump all reptiles into one category for dangerous or not and you need a type of insurance called vicarious liability insurance to cover reptiles and the like, at least this is what I found when I looked into insurance with reptiles.

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
Tom said:
I would like to know their justification for equating a tortoise with a pit bull. Makes no sense on the surface...

I'm not saying it is right, just that it happens and I can understand what they are doing, sorta...

The person that wants to own a 12 foot python that is unsocialized and strikes at anything that moves as a status symbol of their personal strength is lumped into the same category as the guy with the tortoise who couldn't be nicer: under reptile... Just to be safe.

Personally I can't stand "for profit" insurance of any kind, it goes against why insurance exists. When we got hit by a drunk that had no insurance our own company treated us like dirt because they had to pay out.

BTW, sorry you guys are having to deal with this at all! Good luck on the new house and congrats!

Kameo37

5 Year Member
Could you tell us what insurance company dropped you...and which one you are now with? I'd like to know in case we are in the same boat someday! We have plenty of "dangerous reptiles."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TortForum mobile app

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
Kameo37 said:
Could you tell us what insurance company dropped you...and which one you are now with? I'd like to know in case we are in the same boat someday! We have plenty of "dangerous reptiles."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TortForum mobile app

we weren't dropped we were getting quotes and Fidelity is the one that gave the grief we went with State Farm

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
There's some information that can be left out when talking to these companies, my pet list is one of them regardless of their questions. Maybe that's just me. Personally my mouse if more ferocious then my tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
littlestella said:
There's some information that can be left out when talking to these companies, my pet list is one of them regardless of their questions. Maybe that's just me. Personally my mouse if more ferocious then my tortoise.

Yes but you risk not being covered should something happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.