Pet Insurance for Torts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
England
Salutations!

I was discussing pet insurance with a friend before, and i just wondered if any people out there actually do have pet insurance for their tortoises? And if so what does it cover?

My friend seemed to think that if you have insurance, your microchipping is free and you also get other routine checks for free in the year. I'm curious because Alfie is nearing 100mm and i'm looking into getting her microchipped.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I don't have it but I called for a quote once and they said it would $9 dollars a month for my Redfoot. Seems pretty cheap to me... but I still didn't get it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Most pet insurance is a scam, they charge high rates usuaully and they do not offer the routine services they promise, just my viewpoint. Please research it very carefully before you buy it.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
The place I looked into was one of the two pet insurances my veterinarian takes, so I don't think they are scams.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Don't buy it, your pets will probably be covered under the new Obama health care plan! Why not, he's throwing billions at everything else!

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Ha ha. I have to say that i do feel the US needs a health care shake up and that i think Obama could solve many peoples worries about not affording healthcare. I mean, sure the NHS is always in deficit, but basic healthcare should be 'free'. I wouldn't like to think i would be left to bleed out because i didn't have any insurance, or worse, id be left paying for it for the rest of my life....

Anyway, the internet has mixed views on the tortoise insurance, i think ill do more reseach....

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Jordan, forever the voice of reason. Maybe you can apply for a job when Obama is done....

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
DoctorCosmonaut said:
Betts, Brooke and everyone else,

Lets not turn this into a political discussion please :)

Sorry, it was not a politacal statement, it was a joke! Off topic, but only a joke! Besides, its Brooke's thread, and she can steer it wherever she likes.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
I didn't take offence. I hope no-one also took offence on my rant on 'free healthcare for all'. If they did,i apologise. And your right Betts, free healthcare for all should def include tortoises, or else it wouldn't be very inclusive :)

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
alfiethetortoise said:
Jordan, forever the voice of reason. Maybe you can apply for a job when Obama is done....

So you would vote for me? ;)

Sorry I was just worried about people getting argumenty in a topic that I think is interesting and could get lost to politics..

Now back to topic... Is there anyone out there who has had it (or still does)? I am thinking of asking my vet what she thinks of it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
All I can say is, I have only heard bad things myself. And some vets recieve commissions on who signs up . Not saying yours does, but some do.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Aside fromon the forum, i don't know anyone who keeps tortoise's. I know that my mum has pet insurance for her dog (a labrador) and it's fairly inexpensive. I guess that in many cases, buy the time a tortoise is showing signs of real illness it is often too late.

Anyways, i'm sure someone must have toroise insurance?

p.s. sure, you woluld get my vote but i don't think it would be valid since i'm in the UK, and if they found it was a fix they would surely just throw you out of office!

Status
Not open for further replies.