Infertle eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
Will redfoots lay eggs if they have never bred?
I recently got a male for the two females I had. Pry had him for 4 wks and he is extremely small. I wouldn't think he could be responsible but one of my girls appears to be laying.

Attachments

• image-2326862153.png
    image-2326862153.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 31

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
When in doubt, incubate.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Totally unprepared. I don't have an incubator. I wasn't even giving her a lot of extra food or calcium. Figured it would be another year or two.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Find a spot in your house that is somewhere between the upper seventies and the upper 80s. Perhaps on top of a fridge in the kitchen near the ceiling. Place them in a gladware container in moist, but not sopping wet, soil or other substrate of your selection. I like to put a pinhole on two sides for very, very fine airflow. Some do not vent. I do. While you have them there, order a $30-$50 hovabator. It will arrive in a few days or so. Set it up and get it working steadily in a room that has no extremes in temperature fluctuation and is not letting light come through the windows onto the incubator. After you have your temperature in range (let us say 83-86F if you do not care about temperature sexing) and stable for a day or so, place the gladware container inside and wait. At around sixty days, start taking a look once every couple of days. At around ninety days, get a little antsy and check more frequently.

This is a basic method without enhancement tricks, which I keep to myself for commercial reasons.

Good luck.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
She's still out there but I can see at least 2 eggs!! My garage stays at 80 in the day and 70 at night would that work until I get an incubator? I could pry get the temps up a little higher too.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
voodoochild said:
She's still out there but I can see at least 2 eggs!! My garage stays at 80 in the day and 70 at night would that work until I get an incubator? I could pry get the temps up a little higher too.

Probably. 70 is a bit low, but they can endure some fluctuations in the wild, too.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Thanks for the info! When you say enhancement tricks can you tell me what you mean without telling me your method? You are speeding up the process? Just curious.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
You will want to stay consistent with your temps ...84-86 is a safe range. Also humidity MUST be carried out between 70-90% thru ~ out this time. Hatching at 90*Days .....possible ...127-145=average....all the way to 215 days! Yes She can be gravid from being kept with another male before you got her. Higher , humid temps can speed things up ,also produce more females....The down side- smaller success hatch rate and possible scale/Scute deformations

JD~:)

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
What if your temps stayed at 95 since Dec 30 till now? (I thought that was the right temp???? Ugh!!) I ended up with one egg and decided to go for it.
Not to steal a thread, Pm me if have to thanks.
Nay

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
I don't mind Nay :)

I've had her for two years with no male. Will redfoots lay if they haven't been bred. Female chameleons lay eggs regardless kinda like chickens. Do redfoots do this too? She's never laid eggs before. I'm thinking it had to be the male.

She is burying them now. Let her finish? I'm supposed to mark the top of egg with pencil right?

Attachments

• image-1558136411.png
    image-1558136411.png
    1 MB · Views: 23

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Nay said:
What if your temps stayed at 95 since Dec 30 till now? (I thought that was the right temp???? Ugh!!) I ended up with one egg and decided to go for it.
Nay

95 is a bit warm .......but ya never know~ If fertile and hatched
99% it will be female!
JD~

voodoochild said:
I don't mind Nay :)

I've had her for two years with no male. Will redfoots lay if they haven't been bred. Female chameleons lay eggs regardless kinda like chickens. Do redfoots do this too? She's never laid eggs before. I'm thinking it had to be the male.

She is burying them now. Let her finish? I'm supposed to mark the top of egg with pencil right?

Let her finish .... and walk away .... She will probably go drink
you don't have to mark them .... just try not to roll the eggs around place them in position like in the nest.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
voodoochild said:
Thanks for the info! When you say enhancement tricks can you tell me what you mean without telling me your method? You are speeding up the process? Just curious.

No, like JD said, speeding up the process would involve a higher temperature and that would tend to produce females and sometimes developmental deformities.

I have a few private tweaks that boost successful hatching percentage and increase weight at hatching. Very simple stuff. I look forward to trying out the first trick with eggs that supposedly "require" a diapause.

Nay said:
Nay

That is rather high if accurate. If you are lucky, it will hatch. If so, it may come out with odd development and/or interestingly bright coloration. 89 would be far safer.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Baoh, would you care to share some of these "tweaks"? :)? Always interested in better ways to incubate....

Voodoo, do you have an aquarium heater? If you have that and a sealed cooler, then you can fill the bottom of a cooler with a few inches of water, make some kind of stand in there for the egg container so its out of the water, and set the aquarium heater to 85-87. This works as an incubator. Many tortoises have used it to hatch successfully! (you see what I did there....:))

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Afraid not. I have decided that I already over-share and will curtail providing particular details on particular topics (especially nuances of diet, medical care, and reproduction) beyond basics. I will still share other information and encourage others to succeed, though.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
You? Over-share? I detect a rather lack of sharing nature coming from you, at this particular or other times =P. (Don't worry, you can pm me it, I won't tell anyone....Shhhh...)
Your a scientist, right? Doesn't not sharing go against like everything in your nature.....Else what is the purpose of science? (Okay, yea, yea, theres those special purposes and yada yada....)

Status
Not open for further replies.