Eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Gilchrist Co., Florida
Eggs & nesting are funny things.
For many years I have had my Redfoots lay from the March to Dec.
The nesting usually starts after the temp's rise following a long cold spell.
This year in Palm Beach (my house in particular). We had 2 weeks of uncomonly cold weather in Jan.
Since the temp's have risen I have found 2 nests with 5 & 7 eggs I have not had eggs in Jan for so long I can't remember.
Anyone else down my way getting the same thing?

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
huh, maybe it's a difference in temp that triggers things.
We'll see who else found that to be true for their eggs. Do you incubate? or will the cold ground keep them on target for a longer incubation?
ha, and I'm still looking for a 2-3 yr old CH redfoot too, domestic

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I'm in Palm Beach County and have had two nestings since the freeze a couple of weeks ago.
But one of my females doesn't start laying unti January-February and then she continues to May.

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
The first 3 or 4 years mine were in the country they laid year round. Then for the last 20 to 30 years they stop around mid Dec. then start again late March. Most of my friends (down here) are similar. The folks up north are like mine were originally.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
A few of my girls start early in August and continues until Feb/March. The late starters begin in December and end around April/May. Since they have been coming in and out from the weather, they are off schedule. Everyone went back out today so we will probably get a clutch or two within the next few nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.