Crazy question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonHays

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oxford, Ms
This might sound crazy but my semi adult female is pacing around a lot and appears to be digging holes in the ground. I've read that it usually means that she's looking for a place to nest eggs. But is it possible for a RF to lay unfertilized eggs without mating? I have a 5 inch male that's not close to her size and I'd doubt he could pull that off. So is it possible for a female to lay eggs without mating? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I'm curious.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes. Most if not all reptiles, including tortoises can lay eggs and do even if they have never matted. Birds do also, just thought I would add that in.:D

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
Yeah I knew birds did but had no idea about torts. Thanks

I'm thinking about getting an adult male I just have to find one.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Ron ... tort's can also are able to "sperm retention" ... meaning if a couple years back , your female ws kept with a fertile male, she still is capable of producing fertile eggs.

JD~

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
N2TORTS said:
Ron ... tort's can also are able to "sperm retention" ... meaning if a couple years back , your female ws kept with a fertile male, she still is capable of producing fertile eggs.

JD~[/QUOTE

Wow that's amazing. I've only had her a little over a year. So anything could be possible. Thanks for the info!

Oogway

5 Year Member
Denmark
komodo dragon females are even able to fertilize her own eggs!

Status
Not open for further replies.