Too old to lay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Farm
This might seem like a dumb question but can redfoots get too old to lay eggs? I have a huge girl, her name is Big Bertha...perfect in every way...she has gotten mounted a million times over the course of 2 years and she just never lays eggs. I dont understand it. Does anyone know if she could just be over her good egg laying years?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
hmmmm? I have always been under the impression that older age is not a factor for female tortoise....maybe someone else here will know this for absolute certain.....I am going to wait to see with you....lol :D

Katherine

5 Year Member
is she housed indoors or out? I wonder if you are just missing her nests, tortoises are professionals at hiding their eggs and if I don't catch mine in the act it can be incredibly challenging to locate them...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Old age is not an issue, but being too young is. How old or big is she? ('Huge' does not help here- measurements are better.)

There are a lot of reasons to not lay eggs. A lack of vitamin D (or UVB) has an impact, as do things like low calcium or temps, lack of good nesting sites, and a lot more.

If you share more about your situation, we may be able to help more.

Status
Not open for further replies.