Indoor enclosure

tortmomma417

Location (City and/or State)
Kyle, Tx
What kind of "top" does everyone have on their enclosure to keep in humidity? I have a 40gal tank with the clip on lamps and wanted to do some sort of tent/canopy top but not sure how. Just want to see what everyone else has! Im open to changing my current set up. Trust me - I have been researching this for a while now and still can't decide whats best!! Thank you in advance!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have seen tinfoil, bacofoil turkey trays, perspex (plexiglass) all used successfully. They're cut or shaped to fit round the lights. And of course an aquarium hood does the job too.

Some people use mini greenhouse tents like this over a table.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Or this.
Plexiglass or glass.
Plexiglass is easy to drill holes in to mount the UVB florescent lamp to the inside of the lid.
Silicone glue two hinges to the back and you have a flip open, humidity trapping chamber.
Downside is the general size.
I use this for babies up to about 10 months.

Attachments

• 20170310_104122.jpg
    20170310_104122.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 35

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I use the heavy foil, just as ZEROPILOT shows.

tortmomma417

Kyle, Tx
Thank you everyone for the tips! I have a screen over the top and wet towels for now to hold him over until payday when I can re-do his enclosure completely. I have two plants inside the enclosure - an aloe vera and a strawberry plant. Humidity is steady at 70%. :( I had a humidifier on the side of the tank that was helping me with humidity but it broke last night and they don't have it in store. Hopefully wednesday I can build a tent top.

tortmomma417

Kyle, Tx
But don't use the clamps that come with the fixtures. They have been known to fail and start fires or burn the tortoise. Make or buy a stand to hang them from, hang from the ceiling or bracket from the wall or place on the lid as shown in some of the pics
Thanks! Took them down as soon as I could. They are resting on the screen top until I can purchase the lamp stands wednesday:)