Rf indoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

becky4carl

5 Year Member
I everyone I'm a bit confused about where the moist area should be in my tank,I tried it at the hot end with spagnam moss but it just dried up to quick and died and I was spraying it about twice a day,so now Iv moved it down the cool end but Iv been reading online that wet and cold are bad,they sleep on the moss in the cool end so they must like it,how does everyone else have there's set up,more info would be great,thanks becky

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
How about get a covere off some sort for your enclosure. so when you spray it anywhere it will evaporate into the air and it will still be humid but dry?
Just a suggestion

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I personally only pour warm water directly into the substrate right under the heat lamp and as the water slowly evaporates it makes humidity....:D You will need to plan to do this every two or three days--depending on how quickly your water dries....now remember that if your substrate is at least 4-6 inches then the under layers will remain moist for much longer but will allow the top layer to dry so the tort is not sitting in swampy conditions as that is not desirable either...

That stringy stuff is not a fav of mine (but others like it)...maybe if you put your torts hide a little closer to the heat source and then fill the hide with moistened substrate then you will get a warm humid hide....and yes, cool and wet can lead to problems...:D

becky4carl

5 Year Member
Hiya Iv got. Lid on the viv but I leave one of the glass doors open all the time to let plenty of air in,my humiditys at 85 percent so that's fine,was just unsure about hem sleeping in a damp cool area,they sleep there every night so they must like it,just want to make sure I'm not harming them,

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
sleeping in a damp cool area,they sleep there every night so they must like it,just want to make sure I'm not harming them,

Well, do you also provide a dry cool place? If you are providing a cool wet place and that is the only place that there is for them to cool off then the natural assumption visually would be that they must like it? well, I know that cool and wet = bad, eventually....maybe offer them a cool dry area and place their hide there---see what they do?

Also, just sharing what I know and do with you....you will do what you find to be beneficial...

becky4carl

5 Year Member
Thanks for the great info,there tanks 6ft long by 2 ft and my rf are 8 and 9 years old so the quite big,at one end is there heat lamp and the other end is the moist end and there food and water dish are in the middle on the back wall,they both sleep together and they fill a whole end cause there big so I find it hard to have a dry cool bit to,I haven got a hide for them yet,my horsefields have. Plant pot but the rf are way to big I was thinking of building a shelter and hanging plants over it but not sure where to put it,defo think I might move the moss to the hot end and moisten it Dailey but as u said the top can be dry but underneath would stil be damp,as they sleep at both ends of the tank I have to put the food in the middle I haven't got a huge amount of room to work with cause the water bowls pretty big so they can bath init,so v only got either end really,I do let them out every day to cruise around the house,and obviously let them out in the garden as often as the weather permits,but as I live in the uk they are mainly housed indoors.

becky4carl said:
Thanks for the great info,there tanks 6ft long by 2 ft and my rf are 8 and 9 years old so the quite big,at one end is there heat lamp and the other end is the moist end and there food and water dish are in the middle on the back wall,they both sleep together and they fill a whole end cause there big so I find it hard to have a dry cool bit to,I haven got a hide for them yet,my horsefields have. Plant pot but the rf are way to big I was thinking of building a shelter and hanging plants over it but not sure where to put it,defo think I might move the moss to the hot end and moisten it Dailey but as u said the top can be dry but underneath would stil be damp,as they sleep at both ends of the tank I have to put the food in the middle I haven't got a huge amount of room to work with cause the water bowls pretty big so they can bath init,so v only got either end really,I do let them out every day to cruise around the house,and obviously let them out in the garden as often as the weather permits,but as I live in the uk they are mainly housed indoors.

Actually I think I'm Gunna move the heat lamp to the centre of he tank then have one end cool and dry and the other with the moss,I think there sleeping on the damp end cause they settle down for the night before the heat lamp goes off so the only cool option is the damp end,I think by moving the light then both ends will be cool then they can choose,do u agree with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.