Indoor Enclosure Advice Needed

Emy104

Location (City and/or State)
USA
I am planing on getting my first Russian tortoise in a month or so but before I get one I need to build an indoor enclosure since its going to be inside for the colder months. I don't exactly know what's the appropriate size since each website I look at tells me something different. I also want to do a ramp up to a little platform but I don't know what to use as a rail or fence so the tortoise won't fall. Can someone please give me some advice?

baldegale

I am planing on getting my first Russian tortoise in a month or so but before I get one I need to build an indoor enclosure since its going to be inside for the colder months. I don't exactly know what's the appropriate size since each website I look at tells me something different. I also want to do a ramp up to a little platform but I don't know what to use as a rail or fence so the tortoise won't fall. Can someone please give me some advice?

size wise, just go as big as you can, thats always the safe bet. as for the railing etc i dont know

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
8 x 4 feet is the standard approved size on an enclosure for most small adult tortoise species like Russians. Try to build something as close as you can within these dimensions. Enclosure size requirements can become smaller when adding additional levels.

I do not have much experience regarding multi level enclosure setups so I cannot give much input on ramps. I can say that your average active Russian is going get themselves flipped over from time to time. They're troublemakers. This can happen in indoor and outdoor enclosures. It's best to just keep an eye out for them and to fix and improve on anything as time goes on.

daniellenc

Maryland
You can just add sides up the ramp and on the upper level to prevent falling. 8x4 is a good size for indoors and hey if you have room go bigger. 8x4 is considered the standard minimum for an adult but I’d personally purchase a young animal from a reputable breeder to ensure a captive bred animal.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Also if you cannot go bigger than 8x4, add a complete 2nd floor. Maximize your lil ones space withour you losing anymore in your home.