jsharpminer

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Hello, I am new to this forum but I had a question I was hoping to get some advice on. I have seen a lot of indoor hatchling/juvenile tortoise enclosures with a ramp leading to a second level. I have a 1 year old leopard tortoise, and her indoor enclosure is a 40 gallon glass tank that I modified into a closed chamber. There is space for she/he to move around easily, but I am interested in increasing the floor space by adding a second level. Plus a ramp would be good exercise for her. I really have no idea where to start to build this type of structure. Does anyone have advice on how to make a relatively simple one that doesn't require a lot of woodworking/carpentry? Or is there some sort of commercial option that I could purchase. I looked at a lot of basking structures for aquatic turtles online, but I don't know that those could be modified for a dry tank. Any advice?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think a 40 gallon is too small to put in a ramp to a second level. Also would be very hard making it attach too glass. You'd have to build the second level up on legs and then a ramp up too it.
A cheap way to add space is purchasing large plastic totes. You can attach several together putting a hole for them to go from one into the other.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Hi.
I am not sure how big a 40 gallon tank is, but this is how I added a second level to mine. And I do not have any wood working skills. I used wood, ice-cream sticks. Nails and a jigsaw cutter. 20190203_162737.jpeg20190203_212708.jpeg