Im getting a russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjbird60

5 Year Member
Getting a russian tortoise

I'm getting a Russian tortoise pretty soon and I have alll the facts even I have 7 pages I wrote on it but there might b more advice out there so any advice for me would b great

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
RE: Getting a russian tortoise

Welcome to the Forum :D We LOVE PICS so when you get your tortoise....uh, we LOVE PICS :p

You can research on this site about Russian Tortoise...lots of keepers of this species of tortoise on this forum...... :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

Great news, I love russians ( I have 3 myself) great species to have, I am sure you will enjoy it a lot.

jjbird60

5 Year Member

Yea I think I'm getting a boy!!!!

jjbird60

5 Year Member
How much do uv lights and basking lights and a heat pad cost?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would avoid heat pads, light usually run around 60 or so but check amazon a lot of people say they have great prices on them.

jjbird60

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
I would avoid heat pads, light usually run around 60 or so but check amazon a lot of people say they have great prices on them.

I think I have to get a heat pad because it gets cold at night here

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Depending where you live, craiglsit seems to have reptile supplies are very reasonable prices. I got 5 flukers dome lights for $15. I only needed one for the basking light, but hey 5 even better for my hobby to grow.

My wife is going to kill me.

FYI: If you use spiral florescent UVB bulbs, make sure they are pointed parallel to the ground. The bent ends of the bulb project too much UVB and cause eye problems to reptiles.

As for too cold, the substrate absorbs a lot of heat and since they burrow they stay warm all night. More importantly if he is healthy and older he can hibernate.

C

Claireabbo

i have a russian and i dont use heat pads. but i got my lamp and bulb for about $75. it also came with a year warranty. the bulb is zoo med. and the fixture was about 15 at pet co.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member

Good luck!! I love my russian tortoise :)
She is 'thought' to be a girl, but she is only 2 so could be either :p

Ebillan

5 Year Member
jjbird60 said:
dmmj said:

I think I have to get a heat pad because it gets cold at night here

A problem that I have heard with heating pads is that they can get too hot and burn your pet.
If you're keeping him outside and it does get that cold, perhaps a heat lamp would be better for you?
This knowledge is all from taking care of lizards, however. I don't know about tortoises.

C

Claireabbo

there is alot of sites on russians. that should help alot :D thats how i learned :) what do you want to know?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Go to http://www.russiantortoise.org/ for most everything you want to know. Pet stores generally give inaccurate advice, unfortunately.
A UVB/heat lamp like a Powersun MVB will provide heat and UVB for basking. You can get these at good reptile sites or Amazon. They need to point straight down, situated toward one side of the enclosure, so you may need a lamp stand and also a light fixture. The total amount will be close to $100.
Russian torts need it a cool side in their enclosure during the day, and for it to cool down overnight. Unless the area their enclosure is in is <60 F, you don't need night time heat. They seem to do better with heat from above, rather than a heat mat, so IF you need extra night heat, say, in the winter, you can use a black incandescent bulb or a heat emitter at night. You really just have to monitor the temps and adjust things accordingly.
If you are like the rest of us, you will set it up then change in constantly.
Ultimately, most torts, Russians especially, do best at least part of the year in an outside enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.