Advice for new Russian owner?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwarren97

5 Year Member
I'm hopefully getting my first Russian tortoise soon an wanted some advice/tips!
Thanks

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
When you first get your tortoise make sure to soak him/her in luke warm water.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

bigrussiantortoise

5 Year Member
Make shure they can get sun and NO glass aquariums! Because it can stress them out cause they think they can walk through the glass if you do have a glass aquarium cover three sides with an opaque object like a sheet. Here's a great link for info and care for a RT http://russiantortoise.net/

RT stands for Russian tortoise

jonwarren97

5 Year Member
I have done research and I am going to make my own indoor enclosure, once again, does anyone have tips on making/maintaining one?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Go big. Russians need a lot of room to run around.

Get a 4x8 sheet of plywood and attach 2x12s around the outside edge. Add substrate, heat lamp, terra cotta plant saucer for water, humid hide box, furniture and you are done!

Set your heat lamp on a timer for 12 hours and adjust the height to get a 100 degree basking spot over a flat rock of some sort. If your tortoise will get regular sunning time in the great outdoors (highly recommended), a regular incandescent flood bulb from the hardware store will work just fine for indoor heat. If not a lot of outside time will be available, go with a mercury vapor bulb for UV, heat and light all in one.

Try not to feed a lot of grocery store greens unless you just can't find anything better. Weeds and leaves are best. You'll have to study up on which kinds are suitable. Start learning to be a farmer now...

Status
Not open for further replies.