I want to feed my family the BEST!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mandeville, Louisiana
Is there any place in the USA that sells an already, "ok to have everyday" mixture of food that is suitable for sulcatas??? I am sooooo scared to give them too much of something or too little of something else…..Someone told me about The Tortoise Lady but she's in the UK….My new family members will be arriving soon (HOPEFULLY) ……and yes, I do realize that I'm over reacting but I'd rather over react than to regret being too laid back. :) In my defense, it's overwhelming when you read about lack of calcium, too much calcium, too much oxalates, too much protein, not enough protein, vitamin D & vitamin D3 deficiency etc, etc. OMG, PLEASEEEEE HELP!!!! :(

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
There are a few members who use mazuri each day. I also use it but not each day.

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
The best thing tortoises can eat is a mix of leafy greens. Collard green, mustard greens, kale, beet greens, dandelion, clover, etc. There are a few popular brand named tortoise chow, zoomed and mazuri being the two most prefer. It's hard trust just one source due to nutrient requirements. I use Mazuri mixed with greens on scheduled days. It's real easy to get the greens in the form of pre packaged "spring mix", at the local grocery store. There may be others who use the chow pellets who can offer advice on exactly what to get, and how to feed. All this of course, is just my own opinion and experience.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Sorry but as the other posters saidnatural I best. I thought you had meant commercial

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Good sources for grazing tortoise seeds:
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41&products_id=509

http://www.tortoisesupply.com/AfricanGrazerMix

The mixes are nice, because the tort can pick and choose.

Try to grow some optunia cactus, give 1-2x per week for an excellent source of calcium.

If you live in an area where you can't grow much in the winter, then during that time of the year, Spring mix as a base with one other green from the list weekly. Over time, this will provide enough variety. Using a supplement with calcium (And D if you don't use a UVB light) a couple of times per week works well too.

Status
Not open for further replies.