I want to adopt a tortoise...where to start?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlprincipe87

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,
I' hoping someone will be able to give me some advice.

I'm interested in adopting a tortoise, but want to make sure it's a realistic pet for the climate I live in. I've always felt a strong bond with tortoises, so this is sort of a dream of mine :shy:

I live in Rhode Island, so temperature varies quite a bit throughout the year. I would be willing to have an indoor area for the tortoise, as well as an outdoor area.
I would LOVE a huge one, but should probably look for something on the smaller or (at least) medium side.

Is it realistic for a Rhode Islander to have a pet tortoise? If so, what breed?

Thank you in advance!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
There are members from New York and New England on this forum. Hopefully they will come along soon.
If you are willing to consider a box turtle, they seem do do well in your area, even hibernating for some owners with the proper set up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jlprincepe87:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

In my opinion, a tortoise's main home should be outside.

A good beginner tortoise is a Russian (Agrionemys horsfieldii). They do pretty well in cooler temperatures, and they hibernate, so when the weather starts to go cold, you can box him up and put him in the garage.

What would you like us to call you?

Jlprincipe87

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Jlprincepe87:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

In my opinion, a tortoise's main home should be outside.

A good beginner tortoise is a Russian (Agrionemys horsfieldii). They do pretty well in cooler temperatures, and they hibernate, so when the weather starts to go cold, you can box him up and put him in the garage.

What would you like us to call you?

I would definitely prefer to keep it outside, but it gets pretty cold here during the winters. I wouldn't mind setting up a nice indoor area as well!

I'm going to look up more info on Russian tortoises, thanks!

Oh! Almost forgot! You can call me Jess :)

Jlprincipe87

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
There are members from New York and New England on this forum. Hopefully they will come along soon.
If you are willing to consider a box turtle, they seem do do well in your area, even hibernating for some owners with the proper set up.

Hmmm, I haven't considered a box turtle, but I'm certainly not against it.

I just want to make sure whatever I end up getting is happy and healthy in a Rhode Island climate.

sheldon1306

5 Year Member
Hey Jess, not sure where in Rhode Island you are, but I'm from Southeastern CT and have an Eastern Hermann's... I've had him since February and he seems to do pretty well in our area and was recommended by a couple people on other sites as well as the person I chose to get him from. Any questions, please by all means feel free to pm or ask away! I don't claim to know everything but I can help get you the right answer :) good luck!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Jlprincipe87 said:
Hi everyone,
I' hoping someone will be able to give me some advice.

I'm interested in adopting a tortoise, but want to make sure it's a realistic pet for the climate I live in. I've always felt a strong bond with tortoises, so this is sort of a dream of mine :shy:

I live in Rhode Island, so temperature varies quite a bit throughout the year. I would be willing to have an indoor area for the tortoise, as well as an outdoor area.
I would LOVE a huge one, but should probably look for something on the smaller or (at least) medium side.

Is it realistic for a Rhode Islander to have a pet tortoise? If so, what breed?

Thank you in advance!

Jess, I'd also suggest an adult Russian or Eastern Hermann's tortoise...good starter tortoises and about the toughest there is! Pretty amusing critters, too.

I don't recommend hibernation/brumation, though...at least not until you've had a fair amount of experience w/ tortoise husbandry (I've kept tortoises for a bit over 38 years and have never hibernated/brumated any of mine), as it's pretty easy to make a mistake and endanger your pet, sometimes fatally...otoh, by allowing them to stay awake over the cold period, you can accurately monitor their health daily...and enjoy their company. :cool:

As for adopting, check w/ area reptile rescues...mostly you'll be find sulcatas (NOT a good choice for 97% of tortophiles, which is why there are so many available), but others, like Russians/other Europeans come up, as well.

Also, area Craigslists are usually worth scanning, but get your outdoor enclosure together first, before getting your new buddy...allow at least 6' X 3' X 2', but larger is even better. Inside enclosures will like have to be a little smaller, but at least 4' X 2' X 2'.

And welcome to our little slice of chelonian heaven! :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Look on the 'net for Long Island Turtle Rescue and fill out her adoption application. Julie at LITR is a member here and she usually has turtles and tortoises for adoption.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
I would ask TerryO, she is from up that way and has box turtles and cherryheads. It is a great idea to ask people from your neck of the woods before buying.

Allegra

Status
Not open for further replies.