I think my sulcata may be sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Louisiana
darn girl! I am glad not all sulcatas grow that fast!

can you tell your vet he needs to do more research? join this form?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Janiedough, I have used Dr S for a number of years. He is very knowlegable when it comes ot most exotics, birds, ferrets, torts, turts, even chimps and horses. Perhaps he was having an off day. When he questioned my Lil Bit not getting enough protein he suggested peas, green beans etc
but said no meat produtcts as they are herbivors. I don't mean to be defending him but I do have faith and will be taking my Greeks back to him. I dought he would join the forum as he is one busy Vet. M-S Plus some Sundays if an emergency crops up. But I also liked DR DeCarlo. He spent more time and I didn't feel rushed at all. I will more than likely split my vets between the two.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Should a Greek even eat peas or green beans though? I thought they were too starchy and not anything like what they would have in the wild (weeds and such).

vquev001

5 Year Member
I'm just curious...

Can someone please post a picture of what a yearling sulcata should look like?

Is Kimora the size of a three year old sulcata or is she even bigger than that?

If I would need to do measurements for this question to be answered... how exactly am I supposed to measure her? On top of her shell or bottom?

Thank you!!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
A shell measurement would be done as Straight Carapace Length (SCL). You can Google how to do that if needed. It's the straight line of the shell (not curved). It is from the most forward to the most back part of the shell in a straight line. You can estimate with a ruler or tape measure next to her, or you can put her nose first into the wall and have her stick her head all the way in, and then measure from the wall to the back of the shell along the length of the floor.

Sulcata growth really varies based on the tort and the conditions. Hopefully someone will have an estimate of a "typical" yearling size in weight and SCL.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
Crazy1 said:
Janiedough, I have used Dr S for a number of years. He is very knowlegable when it comes ot most exotics, birds, ferrets, torts, turts, even chimps and horses. Perhaps he was having an off day. When he questioned my Lil Bit not getting enough protein he suggested peas, green beans etc
but said no meat produtcts as they are herbivors. I don't mean to be defending him but I do have faith and will be taking my Greeks back to him. I dought he would join the forum as he is one busy Vet. M-S Plus some Sundays if an emergency crops up. But I also liked DR DeCarlo. He spent more time and I didn't feel rushed at all. I will more than likely split my vets between the two.

oh ok

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Kate, peas and green beans, soy beans are all high in protein. That is why he suggested I give her a little bit as to up her protein intake Also Green babyfood mostly has peas in it. Which he also suggested I use. Perhaps he didn't want me to not feed it to her because of the peas.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Hmm that goes against what I have always heard, that is why I was interested. Thanks for the additional information. I'm just not sure they would be getting that much protein in the wild...

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Your right Kate they wouldn't. But Lil Bit is ill and remember we are trying everything so a small increase in her protein was a shot in the dark to help her. Not a long-term solution or feeding schedule. I also have been feeding her Garden Greens organic Baby Food. This has peas, green beans, squash, carrots etc. Which has increased her protein consumption, some anyway. Just something for a sick little one. Not a regular Protein fix or increase. Sorry didn't mean to steal your thread.

vquev001

5 Year Member
Just an update on Kimora...

Just as Danny said... the pink was nothing to worry about. It was just growth. About the soft spots however, he called them abrasions and he took her in the back and debrided her and put ointment on her shell. The blackish color that was there had completely gone away when he brought her back and the ointment is pretty oily/slick so it seems like it will hold up and stay on her shell throughout the day. I have to put the ointment on there twice a day until it runs out and it's a fairly big bottle. I would only have to take her back in 10 days if nothing improves. He said that the location of the abrasions is something that is pretty common, but if it comes back then we would have to look at changing her housing, diet, etc.

As far as her congestion, since there is no bubbling at the nose he said that he personally wouldn't have prescribed the baytril unless it was to progress any further, but since I already have it, he said that I could go ahead and use it. He also let me know that he noticed that baytril doesn't lose effectiveness if it is used every other day compared to daily, so if I preferred I could do that instead. He suggested that I alternate shoulders so that she doesn't get sore as well.

Definitely liked this doctor a lot more and will continue to use him for Kimora!! All in all, he feels that Kimora is a healthy baby that is growing fast. He didn't feel that he saw any pyramiding quite yet either. Says her shell looks good considering how fast she grew. :) What a relief!!

Thank you so much everyone!!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
That is absolutley great news. I am so glad Kimora is doing well and that you liked Dr DeCarlo. Please keep us updated on her progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.