My Sulcata is breathing funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenna311

5 Year Member
I just got my 2-3yr old sulcata and he/she is eating tons like normal.every thing seems to be fine. Except he/she doesnt have a runny nose but sounds congested. He/she makes that sound when your nose is plugged and your breathe real deep to clean ur nose. Should I be worried? Do I need to find a vet? is there someting I can give him/her?

Jenna311

5 Year Member
Sweetness_bug said:
Have you owned sulcata's before? Is it like a hiss?

Yes I have owned them b4.long story tho.the 1st was a hatchling i had for a yr.(bf killed it bc he didnt like him) but i didnt know that at the time.so I got a 2nd one it was a 2yr old lived 4days at my place. bf killed it too.hes not my bf ne more.lol.

Ne way no its not a hiss.he sounds like a person does when they are congested.and he bobs his head around quite a bit when he is breathing weird.

moswen

5 Year Member
if you hear that when the sulcata is just hanging out and breathing then it's probably an ri, you should take it in. if it only does that when you frighten it (like picking it up to fast, touching it's face, & etc) and he sucks his arms and legs in really quickly, that's just a common noise for sulcatas, like sweetness said it's just a hiss.

bubbles and runny noses aren't always the first sign of a respiratory infection. sometimes if you hold your tort up to your ear and you can hear a little popping sound when it breathes then that can be a sign of ri too. but ya you need to find a vet, there's no at home remedy for ri. if you can catch it early enough (like the popping noise) and you bump the temperatures and keep him dry, give him daily soaks in a container with a lid and let the steam help his airways open up, then sometimes you can beat it. but if he's wheezing while he's just sitting in his enclosure hanging out, then you need to take him in.

oh wow i hope he's not your boyfriend anymore! you should cut off all contact with that guy... killing animals really a pretty horrible thing to do... and to do it twice...!

let us know when he/she improves jenna! are you keeping your temps warm enough also?

Jenna311

5 Year Member
Okay.Ill start looking for a vet to be on the safe side. my tortoise doesnt seem to be afraid of me.he only tucks his head in if he is outside on the ground eating and I walk up to him.but when he is in his terrarium in my room he is fine. But yeah I will look up a vet right now for him.

let us know when he/she improves jenna! are you keeping your temps warm enough also?
[/quote]

The temp in the terrarium is around 85deg f. on one side and nothing on the other. Morning time and Night time he/she is under the heat lamp (I only have it on when I get up and turn it off when i go to bed.) For about an hr or so a day Guido (that what my mom named it.lol.) is out in the back yard exploring and eating.Then back to its cage. he always has a shallow thing of water in his cage.

Yes my ex was a terrible person he killed my hatchling by flipping him on his back (in the middle of the cage) and when I found my baby dead on his back in 110 deg weather (i live in las vegas) he claimed scooter did it on his own. the 2nd one was 2yr old and he never brought the tortoise inside like i told him to do when i was at work so she over headed outside bc she litterally spent 8hrs out side in 120deg weather when she was only suppost to be outside 2hrs a day or less.

[/quote]

The temp in the terrarium is around 85deg f. on one side and nothing on the other. Morning time and Night time he/she is under the heat lamp (I only have it on when I get up and turn it off when i go to bed.) For about an hr or so a day Guido (that what my mom named it.lol.) is out in the back yard exploring and eating.Then back to its cage. he always has a shallow thing of water in his cage.

Yes my ex was a terrible person he killed my hatchling by flipping him on his back (in the middle of the cage) and when I found my baby dead on his back in 110 deg weather (i live in las vegas) he claimed scooter did it on his own. the 2nd one was 2yr old and he never brought the tortoise inside like i told him to do when i was at work so she over headed outside bc she litterally spent 8hrs out side in 120deg weather when she was only suppost to be outside 2hrs a day or less.

moswen

5 Year Member
Livingstone said:
There are small circles of hell reserved for people like your ex.

hah! agreed! let us know what the vet says, and how his/her treatment goes!! and i think guido is a cute name!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Jenna, Don't forget to keep your night temps up too. In your situation, I'd never let him get lower than 80 anywhere in the tank day or night. He still needs dark at night so you can use a regular "black" light from the hardware store or a Ceramic Heating Element. (CHE)

Jenna311

5 Year Member
Good News Guido is Healthy! But I feel bad for him bc when I go to work (2days a week) he is stuck in his terrarium and he is always ramming his head against it. It doesnt seem safe.should i be worried?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Jenna...I wouldn't mind knowing where your ex is now...kharma has a way of playing itself out;)

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
Jenna311 said:
Good News Guido is Healthy! But I feel bad for him bc when I go to work (2days a week) he is stuck in his terrarium and he is always ramming his head against it. It doesnt seem safe.should i be worried?

If this is a clear glass terrarium---perhaps you could cover the glass on the outside, as a sight barrier and this will stop the head banging.

Status
Not open for further replies.