I live in paradise

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've tried and tried to get Joshua Trees to grow here, to no avail. I have one now that's about 6" tall and it just sits there, looking exactly the same for about five years. No new growth, not dead. I'm quite fond of the desert landscape. I have a saguaro that's about 7' tall in my front yard. So far no arms, but I'm hoping for arms in my lifetime. Your pictures are quite beautiful. I'm trying to figure out if the landscape is covered in baby Joshua trees. I guess the seeds must sprout pretty easy to have that many young plants all over the ground.

Last edited:

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I've tried and tried to get Joshua Trees to grow here, to no avail. I have one now that's about 6" tall and it just sits there, looking exactly the same for about five years. No new growth, not dead. I'm quite fond of the desert landscape. I have a saguaro that's about 7' tall in my front yard. So far no arms, but I'm hoping for arms in my lifetime. Your pictures are quite beautiful. I'm trying to figure out if the landscape is covered in baby Joshua trees. I guess the seeds must sprout pretty east to have that many young plants all over the ground.
I've been told there are more Joshua Trees here than Joshua Tree National Park. They just came off a 1 year ban on any removal or "Harvesting" seeds. It was a 1 year study to see if they needed to be put on the endangered species list. The seedlings get eaten as fast as they sprout by all sorts of creatures. There is even a caterpillar specific to the Joshua seed pods, turns into a moth. With so many here it is a habit of mine to look at the different attitudes of them. There a ones that are easily over 100 years old here, they are magnificent to look at. I'll get a couple snap shots for you..

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Great pics @Tom. I think it's pretty cool birds can perch on these spiny trees. We see roadrunners run up them a lot here, it's a cool sight. I have to ask the birds name? Beautiful predator.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great pics @Tom. I think it's pretty cool birds can perch on these spiny trees. We see roadrunners run up them a lot here, it's a cool sight. I have to ask the birds name? Beautiful predator.
I couldn't tell. Its either Rick or Morty. They are clutch mate brothers.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I couldn't tell. Its either Rick or Morty. They are clutch mate brothers.
Not only do you provide them a fantastic home.....You keep the Bro's together. Place another feather in your cap my friend. Since I was a child I've always felt that animals kept with litter mates for life live a more full life. When they are kept with a sibling it seems as if they understand emotions better, I have no idea if this is true for Falcons but raising hundreds of puppies as a youngster shows me it's true with dogs. EXAMPLE: Say to sibling puppies are kept together for life, sadly one passes. The other dog will go through a mourning process guaranteed. Now take those same two dogs and lets say little johhny goes off to college. You think they'll exhibit the same mourning symptoms......didn't think so.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I've tried and tried to get Joshua Trees to grow here, to no avail. I have one now that's about 6" tall and it just sits there, looking exactly the same for about five years. No new growth, not dead. I'm quite fond of the desert landscape. I have a saguaro that's about 7' tall in my front yard. So far no arms, but I'm hoping for arms in my lifetime. Your pictures are quite beautiful. I'm trying to figure out if the landscape is covered in baby Joshua trees. I guess the seeds must sprout pretty easy to have that many young plants all over the ground.
Here ya go, some snapshots I told you about.C64DE2E9-5A16-438F-8A2D-8C9F0BBEE3D9.jpegE3C8F2DF-40E1-45C3-AC1C-5F806842482A.jpeg3A1BCC1E-27FC-4A1E-AFA0-3C8857FC642F.jpegD744DE3E-1EFE-4FBD-8CAD-22DC650FFFE6.jpegIn the 1st pic and the 4th one are examples of fallen or leaning Joshua Trees. These are the ones the Roadrunners (and others) run up at full speed. The 2nd and 3rd pictures show show Trees that are less than 50 years old surrounded by ones well over 100 years old. We have 2 that were sprouts when we moved here 8 yrs ago.and now are only inches tall. I will take a pic today if I get a chance.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Here's a pic looking across China Lake Naval Air Weapons Station at the mountains in front of Death Valley, well in front of me and Death Valley.DB7B9C4B-15C4-42D4-9DD9-5603B1ECDFB3.jpeg
This is a pic of Lake Isabella looking towards where I live. It's at the bottom of the last mountain range in the picture.25D21315-790E-40B7-8CF3-5041A0E47462.jpeg

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Here’s the pic of the Joshua trees I told you @Yvonne G about. It’s the smaller 2, they are about 10 years old.5ECC28CA-1222-45B3-8627-0A792CDDFFD3.jpeg
I got the No Trespassing sign for size comparison. These were already about 2-3 years old when we moved here.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Here are some pics of Paradise ....
The first pic is a rare marine layer that made it inland all the way to Death Valley. This pic is taken going down Walkers Pass, looking over the Desert covered in this marine layer.326D18F9-8C19-43E0-B0AD-FE9DDA20ECE2.pngHere is the sleeping lady in a couple different looks, 1st is morning 2nd is sunset.7433F29F-9B38-441A-B8B0-98204528D7BF.jpeg165F8DEE-B59B-4EAA-9FCC-6B056C244E46.jpeg

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Some of us think this is paradiseView attachment 364356
I HATE SNOW .... when we moved here to this house we lived in a travel trailer for months till I got the house together. On Christmas morning I got up and went out the door to start the wood stove inside for a warmer Christmas experience. What the He!! ... No .. Noooo. It snowed. The first White Christmas any of us experienced was that year. The kids and dog were ecstatic, me not so much. My wife says she loves the snow for a day or 2 but then it's just a pain in the (you know).