I just saved another $600 on my headlights

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
A lot of folks might have their own way of dealing with the deterioration of their headlight lenses. It's especially bad in areas with lots of UV. LIke here.
This is the best and longest lasting way I've found of extending the useful life of your headlight lenses.

1)2 sheets of 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper

2) Some water with a few drops of liquid dish soap

3) A spray can of plastic adhesion promoter. (Optional)

4) A can of SPRAYMAXX 2K true urethane clear.

5) A respirator. If you have one.
The paint is dangerous. Don't breathe in any mist.

Clean the headlights and the area around them. Mask/tape off an area at least 12" from the headlights.
Fold the sandpaper. Dip it into the water soap solution and sand the headlights in a circular motion. Remove all oxidation and if possible, the entire failing uv clear coat until smooth.
Wipe clean.
Spray one coat of adhesion promoter over any bare plastic areas. Let dry 20 minutes.
Activate the SPRAYMAXX by placing the red button on the bottom of the can and hitting it with the palm of your hand. It releases the activator. This is a true 2 part urethane. Take care not to breathe in the mist. Make sure that it flows away from you if there is a breeze.
Apply one fast coat. Apply another slightly heavier coat in 10 minutes. You'll be amazed by the gloss and your brain will say "I still have a lot of paint left. Let's use more"
Don't. It'll load up and it could run. And 2 or 3 coats is much more durable than 5 or 6.
There's enough paint in one can to do at least 4 cars headlights. So get your friends or neighbors done too. The paint inside the can is now activated and it will be rock hard in 6 to 8 hours. You can safely use what's left for 4 hours. So, if you find anything else in the garage that you want to be shiny. Paint it.
The paint is dry to the touch in 30 minutes and it's safe to remove the tape and paper in an hour.
This procedure lasts about 20 months to 24 months in our harsh environment. No doubt some of y'all will see even better results

Attachments

• 20240421_140818.jpg
    20240421_140818.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240421_150614.jpg
    20240421_150614.jpg
    822.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240421_150618.jpg
    20240421_150618.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Baking soda and distilled vinegar or plain rubbing alcohol is suppose to clean them up too.
Bunch of different cheap hacks out there to try. Not sure which ones work and which ones don't. Haven't had to do that yet.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Baking soda and distilled vinegar or plain rubbing alcohol is suppose to clean them up too.
Bunch of different cheap hacks out there to try. Not sure which ones work and which ones don't. Haven't had to do that yet.
A few things last for a few days or a few weeks. Like bug spray.
This lasts nearly as long as a new lense.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
You aren't kidding Z, I got quite the education some time back

The nacelles on my car cost $2,700 at the Dealer for a '02 SLK230 that was 2 years old then.

EACH

I thought this must be the result of drugs on a brain, like the frying pan commercial. Who thinks this way? It's not a hammer on a spaceship for Gods sake. It's a fricken piece of polycarbonate. I still have that little chip out of mine......20 years later!

I haven't figured out how to fix it.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I really don't have anything to say about the Headlights but ....That is 1 hell of a masking job, you may have a job waiting for you at the Paint Shop.
When I first looked at the pictures what came to mind is a Car wrapped with News Print, a car completely covered in newspapers.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I really don't have anything to say about the Headlights but ....That is 1 hell of a masking job, you may have a job waiting for you at the Paint Shop.
When I first looked at the pictures what came to mind is a Car wrapped with News Print, a car completely covered in newspapers.
Funny.
One of my many past jobs was painting school busses for the district.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
You aren't kidding Z, I got quite the education some time back

The nacelles on my car cost $2,700 at the Dealer for a '02 SLK230 that was 2 years old then.

EACH

I thought this must be the result of drugs on a brain, like the frying pan commercial. Who thinks this way? It's not a hammer on a spaceship for Gods sake. It's a fricken piece of polycarbonate. I still have that little chip out of mine......20 years later!

I haven't figured out how to fix it.
That's not a super mass-produced car. They'll probably just get even more expensive.
I can get a PAIR of Tacoma shells for a hundred bucks. (But the quality is not great)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I bought a kit at Walmart and did ours. It's amazing how well it worked.
Usually you can get by with a kit the first time. And hopefully your environment won't eat away at the plastic.
This area is Hell on plastics and clearcoat paints.
I repainted the hood and roof on the Scion last year because the clear was failing. But Toyota has crappy paint. To be honest.
The vehicles will last 35 years.
The paint lasts about 7

Nsav

Robbinsville NJ
Surprisingly, I’ve found that regular tooth paste or even WD-40 do a really great job cleaning out dull headlight casings. See the before and after shots below in just a few minutes. But don’t try this on your tort’s 65w incandescent flood lights tho!

Attachments

• IMG_7439.jpeg
    IMG_7439.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7440.jpeg
    IMG_7440.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
You've given good advice on products in the past so I have confidence in what you are saying. I checked this one out and can get some for less than $20 from Amazon. Which I will do. The K100 is great also. I haven't needed to use on my motors personally but it worked for other old people in our small town. My golf cart head lights need clearing,

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
You've given good advice on products in the past so I have confidence in what you are saying. I checked this one out and can get some for less than $20 from Amazon. Which I will do. The K100 is great also. I haven't needed to use on my motors personally but it worked for other old people in our small town. My golf cart head lights need clearing,
There's so much pure crap out there, that whenever I find a truly great product, I mention it.