I have problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Louisville, Ohio
My 2 month old rt will not eat anything. It has been 3 days and no poop. I hold it up to him and nothing. He has maybe taken 4 bites in the last 3 days. All he wants to do is lay around under his heat and then he walks up under his leaves hide. I have no idea what to do with him he just is acting strange and I am going away for the weekend and leaving him with my mom. Just don't know what to do. Please help

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
What are you offering him to eat? Do you always have food out? Maybe he is eating when you are not watching, sometimes they eat their poop too before you notice it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since he's a baby, maybe you should set the temp just a little higher. I'd go for 100F directly under the light fading to 85F on the hot side and 75F on the cool end. I would also keep it warmer at night. When he gets to be a little older, you can go back to the temps you've shown us.

In the mean time, it sounds like baby food soaks are in order. Soak every day in warm water mixed with Gerber strained carrots. Leave the baby in the water for about a half hour, but keep checking on him to be sure he doesn't tip over.

Does your baby have a hiding place? They are very shy and scared of being eaten when small.

Gunter

5 Year Member
Woodbridge,NJ
I turn of my torts lamp around 9 PM so its on from 7 AM to 9 PM and she eats fine.

Maybe she is sick?My tort had the same food spell but then we got her a better lamp and she was fine.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes, try warming up the basking area to 100F as Yvonne suggests.
Warm daily soaks with strained carrot or sweet potato baby food mixed in. No exact ratio, depending on the size of your enclosure, perhaps 1/2 jar per soak.
Can you put your lights on a timer and have them come on early; around 6 am, off around 7pm? This would allow the basking area to really warm up by the time your tort wants to bask, for most of them, it is fairly early.
I believe your UVB light(s) are all fairly new, right?

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
lynnedit said:
Yes, try warming up the basking area to 100F as Yvonne suggests.
Warm daily soaks with strained carrot or sweet potato baby food mixed in. No exact ratio, depending on the size of your enclosure, perhaps 1/2 jar per soak.
Can you put your lights on a timer and have them come on early; around 6 am, off around 7pm? This would allow the basking area to really warm up by the time your tort wants to bask, for most of them, it is fairly early.
I believe your UVB light(s) are all fairly new, right?

Yeah I am using a Exo Terra combo bulb 160 watt heat and uvb. Saturday I have a Zoo Med reptisun 10.0 uvb high output bulb coming and usy got a 100 watt CHE. Here is a picture of his enclosure. Another thing is I just changed his substrate to all coco coir on Sunday. Would that have anything to do with it. The top layer is always dry when I go to mist it. His eyes are very clear and no runny nose. He never goes in the cool side (left side of the below pic. Just worried I am going to stay home this weekend. he is out walking around exploring my house as we speak. Also a weird thing he tried to burrow right under the heat bulb (see pic below) he pretty much stays on the right side of his enclosure (hot side) all the time buy those fake leaves. I changed his diet a little bit going from spring mix to dandelions greens, mustard greens, escarole. He sometimes takes a few bites if I try and hand feed him.

He just sits in the same spot all the time in the heat under a set of leaves. When I get up he is always asleep and he sleeps when I soak him in warm water too.

Any help would be appreciated. I am giving him all the best of everything

(His hot side is on the right cool side on the left)

Attachments

• IMG_1256.JPG
    IMG_1256.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1264.jpg
    IMG_1264.jpg
    612.5 KB · Views: 10
Status
Not open for further replies.