Hello new here

Selmer

Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I have an RT and he likes to stay in his hide area all morning, I turn the UVB and heat lamps on at 7 am and come home for lunch and he is still in his hide this has gone on since we got him 3 days ago. I have been taking him out of the hide and putting him in the basking area is this ok? Should I just leave him alone? I feel like he still may be getting used to things, but not sure. I haven't seen him drink any water yet but he has eaten a bit here and there. last night I held some cilantro up to his nose and he ate a few bites of it but that was it. thanks for the advice.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

You’ve just changed his whole world; he needs some time to adjust. He sees you as a predator and is hiding; that’s what nature has programmed him to do to survive. Give him some privacy while he checks things out. Eventually he’ll see you less as a thread and more of a food god, it might take a few days or a few weeks.

He’s eating some; that’s a very good sign. Russians don’t necessarily drink a lot of water; mine only does after hibernation and once when she had a cold. My tortoise can’t stand cilantro so I already think yours is pretty openminded about food! :)

We would like to see pictures of your setup, since not having the lighting or enclosure right can affect how a tortoise is walking around and eating.

Selmer

Iowa
Welcome!

You’ve just changed his whole world; he needs some time to adjust. He sees you as a predator and is hiding; that’s what nature has programmed him to do to survive. Give him some privacy while he checks things out. Eventually he’ll see you less as a thread and more of a food god, it might take a few days or a few weeks.

He’s eating some; that’s a very good sign. Russians don’t necessarily drink a lot of water; mine only does after hibernation and once when she had a cold. My tortoise can’t stand cilantro so I already think yours is pretty openminded about food! :)

We would like to see pictures of your setup, since not having the lighting or enclosure right can affect how a tortoise is walking around and eating.
I have him in a 2' by 3' box which I am aware is much to small for him I will be building him something new this weekend. I got rid of the water bowl as I was told it is a death trap. I was told the coil uvb isn't the best for him so looking into changing that as well. His heat light is only 75w and is now sitting about 8-9 inches from the floor. He only has one hide right now and it is open on both ends so I need to get another closed end that will stay more humid.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1649.JPG
    IMG_1649.JPG
    448.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1650.JPG
    IMG_1650.JPG
    508.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1651.JPG
    IMG_1651.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 20

Selmer

Iowa
Here are a couple more pics of my current set up.

Attachments

• IMG_1652.JPG
    IMG_1652.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1653.JPG
    IMG_1653.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 13