Feeding problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigrussiantortoise

5 Year Member
My RT hasn't want anything to eat in two days!! I'm worried he might have something and I'm not shure what to do

I feed him every other day

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Can you give us some details about how the temps in his enclosure are, and if you let him go outside for sun, and how old he is, etc. When was the last time he pooped and urinated? Is he moving around, or sleeping most of the time? First thing, don't worry too much that he's not eating. Btw, who told you to feed him ever other day instead of every day? All animals should be offered food and fresh water everyday.

bigrussiantortoise

5 Year Member
I don't know the age but he poops and pees every day regularly and his temp for the tank is norm 80-85F and I take him out every day and he moves around until night time then sleeps and I ALWAYS change his water and I try to feed him every day not every other my stupid iPods auto corrected something and I didn't notice it.

Here's a pic of him ImageUploadedByTortForum1376975765.852459.jpg

That's not his tank that's his little tub and transport cause his nails are sharp

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Can you give us a pic of his top shell (carapace)? He looks young but he also looks dried out. Do you give him warm soaks daily? Do you have a heat light? if so, what kind is it? Is it a UV light, coil, mercury vapor? What's the temp directly under the heat lamp? Is there humidity in his enclosure? What do you do to produce humidity? What percent of humidity? Does he make any kind of noise from his mouth/nose?

Another suggestion is to lower the temp at night for RT. Russians don't like it too warm at night, and since you say he's out all day, I think all you may need is a CHE 100w (ceramic heat emitter) which you can get at any pet store.

bigrussiantortoise

5 Year Member
I finaly found out when I took him out he was secretly eating some of my hasta that was growing near his hiding spot

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
bigrussiantortoise said:
I finaly found out when I took him out he was secretly eating some of my hasta that was growing near his hiding spot

If you've only gotten this RT recently, he probably needs to adjust to his new environments. Sometimes too much handling and moving them from indoor to outdoor environments is just too much. It can stress them. If your indoor habitat has the correct temps, humidity and lighting, then leave him in this indoor habitat and don't handle him for a few days.

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
Soaks do wonders. In a tub that he cannot climb out of, fill Luke warm water to the depth that will come to the bottom of his shell only. Let he soak twenty minutes. A hydrated tortoise is a happy tort.

Status
Not open for further replies.